1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Heated Bed not responding

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by pclabtech, Sep 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pclabtech

pclabtech Active Member

I checked D8 connections, rebooted the machine, the printer, the earth.
    Using Repetier software:
    On a fresh reboot, the manual controls to the heat bed start it heating, and either randomly, or when the bed reaches the programmed temperature, it shuts off, starts cooling down, without maintaining the desired heat level. I have pressed "Heat Printbed" and manually send M140 S80 Gcode to the bed with no success, the temperature keeps dropping on the bed.

I have tried restarting the program, no good, I checked wiring, looks good.

This morning I got it to heat to 90c and it maintained that temperature up and down for about 1 minute, then the bed just starts dropping in temperature with no way to get it to go back up lest I reboot the entire machine, and I think even that didn't help once.

Any suggestions?

2. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey PCLabtech, well Jeff has been having this issue. And just shot time Electro complained about this issue in the shoutbox. I am going to look into this with the team.
    - Harry

3. Leon Grossman

Leon Grossman Active Member

Check the thermistor connection. The system is designed to shutdown the heat bed if the thermistor isn't connected/has a broken wire.

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

In my case it was not the thermister.
    I believe it was the ramps board actually overheatings when I raised my complete printer off the table i turned a regular desktop fan to blow onto and under the ramps board the problem went away.

Before I did that though I could feel the heat through the ROBO case above where the ramps board was mounted and when the heatbed was acting up it was always warm keep it cooler seemed to do the trick at least for now but I haven't had much of a chance to test I went back to some PLA with no heat right now.

Also the Robo guys did send me a fan but I have not had time to come up with a mount yet for it so it is not installed at this time so can not tell if that is going to be enough, but it should help.

5. Jerry RoBo 3D

Jerry RoBo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.