1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Heated Bed Wiring?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Kewtdz, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Kewtdz

Kewtdz New Member

After having issue with the stock bed chipping and the cork from the heater falling off, I've decided to move to an aluminum bed. Luckily, a local company sells their cut offs for really cheap $2/lbs. As a result, I got a 1/4" MIC6 replacement piece for $8!

To go along with the new aluminum bed, I've order a 200mm x 300 mm 600W silicone bed heater to run off of AC Mains. I am planning on running it through an SSR but haven't selected one yet. I am wondering if anyone has wired an SSR for the Robo and if they have recommendations/pictures? Specifically, how have people grounded the bed (or have you) due to the Robo being all plastic? Secondly, are you running a separate power cable just for the bed or running it off of the stock plug? I've discussed this with an electrical engineer but wanted to see what has worked in the Robo community.

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

1/4" is pretty heavy. I bet you could have gotten away with 1/8". Not sure how the stock rods and Y axis setup will handle the extra weight. No idea about the power though.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I don't remember what the fuse is rated at in the stock plug. Pop it out and take a look, Figure you need 5 amps* (max) for the stock supply and then work out what you need for your extra load and see if that is less.

*Really closer to 3

4. Kewtdz

Kewtdz New Member

danzca6, I am a bit concerned about the weight too but there wasn't an option for a close to fit piece in 1/8. This piece is pretty much an exact fit without trimming. I've ran the aluminum just resting on the y-axis and it is smooth with no missed steps but I am sure it is going to limit print speed. If it becomes an issue, I figure I can upgrade to a stronger motor and/or 10 mm rods (maybe Igus polymer bushings).

Mark, thanks for the advice, I didn't know if anyone else has done this so I thought I'd check. I'll take a look at the fuse.

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Here is what you need to know

600 Watts @ 120 Volts = 5 Amp draw

use whatever size wire is appropriate for 5 amps, no need for a separate plug or wiring just for the heater.

Kewtdz likes this.