1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hello from central Florida

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by Jutte, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Jutte

Jutte Member

I'm a relative novice to 3d printing. My first printer was a Cube 3 which I still love, but it has limitations and has been discontinued. I recently bought a refurbished Robo R1 and I'm learning just how much was made transparent by the Cube. The chip in the cartridge carried all the information regarding temps and movement for the material inside.

I'm not thrilled with having to scrape plastic off of the Robo's glass bed and would like to use a layer of painter's tape. I tried adjusting the first layer height, but the software won't let me adjust it any higher than the diameter of the nozzle. At that setting, it still gouges the tape. What settings do you use when you put tape on the bed?

I'm hoping to have a good experience with the Robo R1. It will provide me a much greater range of materials and print bed size.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

welcome. We'll drag Florida into the 21st century yet :)

3. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

I don't think first layer height means what you think it means.......

Are you using Matter Control? if so use the z offset under printer settings. If you did that make sure the tape gets under the probe points for the auto level.

Oh and welcome

#3 Chuck Erwin, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The Z offset is what you want to adjust. For example (some of my startup GCODE):

G28 ; home all axes
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift Z by 5mm
    M565 Z-1.0 ; set the offset for auto-leveling mechanism
    G29 ; run auto-level

The value after the M565 is what you play with. More negative is further from the bed.

5. Jutte

Jutte Member

Thank you all! Finally found where to adjust the z offset in Matter Control. Will try again tomorrow.