1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hello from WA!

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by Paraflier, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Paraflier

Paraflier New Member

Hey there everyone-

I had been looking at 3D printers for a while now, pros / cons / price ,etc. Almost pulled the trigger on the Micro 3D, but after some careful consideration, decided I needed a bigger bed than the 4" or so the Micro offered. I also liked the fact that the Robo offered a wide variety of filaments to use for printing.

Settled on the Robo R1+. So far, so good. One thing I hear over and over is there is a STEEEEEEP learning curve, and that's no joke. ;) From setup tweaks to clearing jams, its definitely a "learn as you go" process. But I like that in the end. It's one thing to push a button, and it's another thing to troubleshoot and fix your own equipment. I like it. (Plus, who doesn't like the idea of making your own stuff??)

I wanted to get into 3D printing because I also do metal casting. Instead of constantly making and losing casts with foam or wax, I can print a Master, and use it as the mold. Then make it aluminum. :) Cell phone cases, Xmas ornaments, Minecraft toys for my boys, the possibilities really seem endless.

Been able to find an answer to most anything that comes up through the forums and hope to be able to help folks out in the future. (Once I know what the heck I'M doing... lol)

Printed Solid likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Lost PLA is an excellent process for building aluminum (or really any type) of metal part. You should be rocking with this approach.

The learning curve for 3D printing is steep mostly because you have to learn how the hardware works and (mis)behaves. How to quickly find and fix minor glitches and lastly 3D modeling adds an entirely different learning curve :) Modelling something 'printable' takes a little learning as well.

Good luck!

Paraflier likes this.
  3. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

Welcome to the neighborhood, Shoutbox is another resource if your stuck, usually somebody around to point you in the right direction.

4. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Welcome! I've got a bit of lost PLA casting under my belt and there are a few others around who do as well.
    Printing molds, pouring wax, and then casting off of that works, but you can also directly burn out the PLA and skip that step if you are only making a few.