1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hello out there a question of using HIPS filament material

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Mooky, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Mooky

Mooky New Member

Would it be just a matter of switching out the hot end element in order to run HIPS filament on a R1 machine or would I have to jump more hoops to gitter dun?

Thanky!

2. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

What temperature are you trying to get to?

3. Mooky

Mooky New Member

If I remember correctly the brand I was looking at flowed at recommended 290 degrees. Thanks!

4. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

I think the stock heater can reach 300C without issues though I am not entirely sure. In order to get up to 290 you will need to change the max temp allowed by the firmware to 300.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Pretty sure all of the R1 units came with a hexagon so @Stephen Capistron is correct. Just bump the firmware settings to allow a MAX of 300 for the hotend.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I print hips at 250C just fine.

I think a 70-80C bed is all that's needed as well but I print hotter because I use it as a support material for ABS.

7. Mooky

Mooky New Member

I've been away for a bit 'working' on computers instead of 'playing' on them. But I have read the replies an added them to my getting started logbook so thanks for confirming it will do higher temps and some of your settings. While I'm on this topic. I resurrected parts to make a clean build Windows 7 that I plan to use as a printer PC. I've loaded the Matterhackers program/drivers and Cura 15.

Would it be in my best interest to buy the Simplify3d program from the get go or use what I have installed right now? Thanks again!
    Cheers!

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Simplify3D is a very powerful (and complicated) tool. You can do a ton of stuff with it, but the 'easy' things are more difficult imo.

That said the support material generation is better than any other software. So if you're printing a lot of stuff that needs easy to remove support it's worth the investment. Though I have access to it but still mostly print using Cura