1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

hello. Some Noob questions for you

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Soupaboy, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

hello. I'm new and I do not understand the whole calibration process. after levelling the build plate you will try a test print. correct? anyway how do I improve the quality from there e.g. layer resolution

what is this loose nut I have been hearing about?

what's an easy way to unclog the extruder

how much does a 10cm x 10cm x 10cm cube cost in pla plastic to print?

are there any software s that explain the whole calibration process

what preperation should I make for the printer arriving. I am ordering it TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH MY GOODNESS I am ordering a 3d printer but need some help to get it set up

how long does it take to arrive to the uk?

lead time?

thank for reading :)

2. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

"how much does a 10cm x 10cm x 10cm cube cost in pla plastic to print? "

That's more than one spool. From Wikipedia PLA density = 1.210-1.430 g·cm-3. . From Rob0 3D PLA = $30/Kg

($30/Kg)(1000 cm^3 )( 1.43 g/cm^3)/(1000 g/Kg) = $43 approx.

3. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

does the robo 3d do auto support structures or do the software s do that?

4. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

Err, He said 10 CM :)

5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I will try and answer some of these but in the future you will get better response if you have done some research by looking in the forums here and on other sites and ask specific questions. People will be more likely to respond if they see you doing a bit of work as well.

the "loose" nut is the mechanism that actually raises and allows gravity to lower the extruder one is located on eaach of the two threaded shafts and the x axis assemblies which hold the extruder via the horizontal rods have a fitted hole inside that the "loose"nut should normally be it prevents the nut from rotating along with the threaded rod so as the rod spins the nut will raise or lower on the shaft, lifting or allowing the extruder to move downward. It is loose because as I said it fits into a hole and while in that hole and the rod spins to raise the extruder it actually lifts it by pushing up on the extruder assembly from inside that hole. In the reverse when the rod spins to lower the extruder there is nothing holding it against the extruder gravity actually holds the extruder next to it so as it lowers on the rods gravity lowers the extruder. That is why it is "loose" it is not FIXED in its location. This prevents the printer from breaking it self. if for some reason a request is made for the extruder to be lowered and if the nozzle happens to come in contact with the bed yet the rods are still telling it to go down further the nut being loose simply continues to travel and moves out of its fitted position in the x axis assembly but the extruder simply rest on the bed and nothing gets broken if the nut had been locked in place it would have tried to forcibly keep movin gth enozzle lower and lower and could do damage to the bed, the nozzle and or break ifree from the locked position ruining a big part of the printer, So it is good that it is loose and shold always remain so.

unclog the nozzle is a complex process it is best to avoid clogging it in the first place you can do this by keeping it clean from dirt and also by using a good quality filament also setting the temp to near the max temp can cause things to melt internall and clog things up so the answer will really depend on how it is clogged in the first place.

The cost of the 10cm cube cost is relative to many thing how much infill you are using and the cost of the filament and your print time all have to be weighed together in order to answer this question.

There is no software since the calibration is fairly manual and completely unique to each printer the process can be similar and you can work with individuals or reads things here to find out more about that.

Yes read up on how 3d printers operate there are a few different types but the fundamentals are pretty similar and I would get a good set of basic tools to help you when you get your printer and start printing including:

cricut spatula
    calipers
    tweezer set (fine tips)
    dial indicator
    acetone
    rubbing alcohol
    blue tape
    screw drivers
    cutters
    utility knife
    small glass jars with lids (slurry if you choose to go with it)

lead times and arrival in the UK will have to be determined by the ROBO team there a alot of people ahead of you right now I won't even venture a guess on that one.

6. David Mortlock

David Mortlock Active Member

That is assuming a solid cube, but my guess is that he wouldn't be printing it solid.

I may be wrong though. I usually am.

7. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I can't just leave that one...

all 10cm cubes must be PRINTED SOLID

:D

4 people like this.
  8. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Seshan, he asked for 10cm x 10cm x 10cm cube. That is 1000 cm^3 or cc.

Yes that's a big heavy block of plastic, perhaps he meant 10mm x 10mm x 10mm or 1 cc. If solid that would be about 4 cents. The Slic3r manual mentions that typical infill patterns are 10% to 30% material so he can make his estimates from this info.

9. Soupaboy

Soupaboy Active Member

I'm sorry I am such An ELOH-SRA (read the word backwards) I ment 10mm by 10mm by 10mm. iam very sorry for stirring things up.