1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Help! Can't load serial driver in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by 1d1, Dec 30, 2013.

1. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

It was all working fine... until it wasn't. Now I can't even get the serial driver to load. Even when trying as administrator, and allowing it to load, it never appears. I've tried shutting off virus (McAfee) and Windows firewall but haven't succeeded yet. Any Windows gurus out there willing to guide me along the path? I need to print!
    Thanks,
    Dean

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

So when yo plug in the printer it doesn't load a driver?
    Does it make the 'DaDonk' sound to indicate a USB device was plugged in?
    Can you connect with Repetier?
    How about Cura?

3. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

The driver should show even without the device attached. Either way, though, no joy....

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

>The driver should show even without the device attached.<

Not always for USB devices. The Device Manager will autoload a driver if it detects a connection and has one registered for that device. Try a different USB port as that can force a reload of the driver.

5. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Well, I'm still without... The printer has stopped registering on the computer. The RepRap LCD doesn't work either through either the computer USB or with the 110. I fear a catastrophic demise of my Arduino though it blinks green 4 times when connected to the USB cable from the computer. Yet, nothing happens. No driver... no printer...
    Thanks for your help, Mark

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

well, take the brute force approach.

Install the Arduino IDE.

http://arduino.cc/en/main/software

(probably the latest version, but I imagine any will work)

See if IT can talk to the printer once you plug it in. It SHOULD see it as an Arduino board (this is how you update the on-board firmware if needed)

If it can talk to the Arduino, perhaps a re-load of the on-board software would be in order...

7. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

I had already attempted this, so the Arduino is fresh, it's the latest Repetier from ROBO and... still nothing. I just tried it again, but no. I like the idea of brute force, however. A lot. After waiting for six months beyond its KS date, arriving broken, and now this...my personal saga has been one of primarily "waiting for parts". It printed exceedingly well for a short time. I want that again.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Absolutely ping the support folks then, it sounds like maybe a fault with the boards (although if you can reload it the Arduino is likely not bad). I'd suggest something other than Reptier (like Cura) but if the OS is not seeing the printer then that won't help.

Try it anyway (after thinking on it). If the Arduino IDE can talk to the board enough to reload the software then that is likely good and perhaps Repetier is just lost and confused... easy enough to try.

If none of that works either get a new Arduino board from Robo 3D or Amazon (Amazon might be faster).

9. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

I guess it is new board time. :(...and I don't even like emoticons...