1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

HELP! Filament won't load

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by aaronwstone, Aug 11, 2017.

1. aaronwstone

aaronwstone New Member

ive tried everything i can think of to get filament to load. It's PLA from ROBO and it was printing and just stopped. See image for how far i can load it.

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I am guessing (your picture is not entirely clear what is happening) that it is not feeding into the hotend?
    You may have filament broken off in there or a clog.

3. aaronwstone

aaronwstone New Member

Yeah it won't pass that one spot. How would I go about clearing that out? Get it hot and force some wire through it?

This will sound dumb (I'm new) but it works like a hot glue gun right? Filament is pushed through as the new filament is forced into the hot end.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can remove the hotend and do some disassembly of it to remove clogged filament, but it is a bit of a pain and requires caution since some of it (the hotend disassembly not the removal from the extruder) needs to be done hot.

You may get lucky and be able to pull the old filament out once you remove the hotend from the extruder and that is not too bad.

6. John Wohlfeil

John Wohlfeil Member

I need help with this. I have a piece stuck down in my hotted and I can't push it through. I did loosen the screw on the front and the whole nozzle dropped out. I can see the dried PLA stuck in there.

7. Rod Smith

Rod Smith Member

If enough of the filament is protruding to get a grip on it with needle-nose pliers, try heating the hotend using your software, then pull the filament out. (You'll need a second tool to hold the hotend without burning yourself.)

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

As I mentioned in the other thread, a handheld torch and burn out the filament. PLA will completely liquefy with high heat and just drip out or burn away.