1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Help upgrading to dual extruder

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Frinny, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Frinny

Frinny New Member

Hello everyone, I bought an R1 about 6 months ago to use for some engineering work and quickly realized that trying to dig out support material from inside a part is a nightmare so id like to convert to a dual extruder so i can print my support material with PVA. It looks like using dual E3dv6 isnt a bad idea and i was looking at this website for the mechanical side of the upgrade:

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/how-to-dual-bowden-e3d-on-the-robo-3d.1955/

My concern however is the wiring and software side of the upgrade. i have no idea how or where to wire up the second extruder and the second stepper motor and the additional fan(s). I then also dont really know how to tell the software that it now has dual extruders and where the second extruder is located with respect to the first.

Ive looked around a bit for an awesome guide on how to do this but I just keep getting redirected to the same installation guide above. Any advice from those 3d-printer gurus floating around?

p.s. I'm using matter control (i know people say it isnt great but ive gotten used to it)

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'm always hesitant to post a detailed guide on how to go dual extruder because it's not easy, nor is it always worth it.

It's a huge headache and more often than not it makes more fiscal and time sense to just buy simplify3d for the improved support functionality.

If you'd like help I'd suggest contacting me over skype chat and we can discuss your various questions. My account is listed in my profile.

3. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Just chiming in to second the Simplify3D option for support material. I've even printed some things that didn't necessarily require support (model of a T-rex skull) and the supports it generates pop right out just by gripping them with a pair of needle-nose pliers and pulling on them.

Only tip I'd give for supports is to make sure your skirt/brim is big enough to cover the area the supports start on so that they have something to hold on to at the base and everything is good from there.

robert sanchez likes this.
  4. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

Simplify3d has totaly made it easy to make parts with removable support. About 90% of my parts need lots of support, and S3D has been doing just fine.

See printed solid for simplify3d, might be able to hook you up with a deal on some other goodies (XXL LCD, E3D V6, ETC).

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. Frinny

Frinny New Member

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Mike: I'd really like to chat and try to get a better insight to what it would take to get dual extruders. However it seems that simplified 3d is a pretty good option to look into. I will check that out before I try the dual extruder as it seems it would benefit me even after a dual extruder upgrade.

daniel871 likes this.
  6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Simplify3D is... not great... at dual extruder support. It does ok for basic support options (even though it's a little too minimal on the support mateiral when using HIPS) but printing in multicolors is pretty tedious, though it is possible.

Just shoot me a message on skype whenever you'd like to chat and we can discuss options.

Landonhafen likes this.
  7. Landonhafen

Landonhafen New Member

If simplify 3D is not great software for a robo dual extruder upgrade then what is?

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

you missed this apparentlty:

9. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Simplify3D worked just fine for me, most of the hassle went into setting up the firmware to have the correct offsets between the nozzles and getting Simplify3D support to give me a "FFF" file for my customized printer (then going thru the tutorials for the Dual extrusion Wizard and looking at all the different ways I can use both nozzles).

I'm attaching the file Simplify3d gave me, but keep in mind you'll need to go through and customize the start/end g-codes in the processes for whatever material you want to print with and experiment just like you have to do for just one nozzle (main difference will be that you'll be doing two nozzles, so the work of fine-tuning things basically doubles).

Also, read this after you do all the hardware changes and get ready to start customizing the Simplify3D profiles.

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/tutorials/printing-with-multiple-extruders/

Attached Files: