1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Help with Matter Control

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Suberman, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Suberman

Suberman Member

I'm using Matter Control 1.7 and my Z axis will bind up making a loud noise when trying to home. If I change the options, hardware, EEProm, maximum feedrates [mm/s] and change the Z from 5.00 to 4.75 it works fine. However, now I can't print tall prints without a failed print. Any suggestions?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Exactly which printer?

3. Suberman

Suberman Member

Robo R1

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Can you be more specific with what you are changing?
    Either more details about where exactly you are changing things or a screenshot (or two) would help.

Be as specific as you can about what configuration is working versus what is failing. When it fails, what exactly is failing?

Geof likes this.
  5. Suberman

Suberman Member

when it fails it just makes a noise like as if the z was trying to move and can't. the rods doesn't turn. let me know if you can't see the thumbnail

Attached Files:

• 3d.jpg
      3d.jpg
      File size:
      80.2 KB
      Views:
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Likely either a Z stepper binding (lubricate the threaded rods) or the stepper driver is failing or (worst case) the stepper itself is failing. On the R1 it uses a single stepper driver for both stepper motors so if they are both misbehaving that would be the first thing I check

7. Suberman

Suberman Member

why is it when I change the EEProm i'm able to print?

I'm having another problem that I would like some help with. I'm changing my fill density to .40 and I get the same print when I print it at .15. My prints aren't filling in and i'm missing a lot of detail on tail prints.

Attached Files:

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

thats called pillowing. Not enough infill or not enough top layers or a combination of both. NOt sure what you mean clear eeprom you can print ?

9. Suberman

Suberman Member

What should my setting be? I like to use Matter Control 1.7 software. I have the infill set to .40 (Fill Density) infill type in set to grid. Infill overlap is 0.06.
    layer height - fine 0.1mm
    top sold layers - 5mm

10. Suberman

Suberman Member

This is a screenshot just in case you don't understand.

Attached Files:

• MC1.jpg
      MC1.jpg
      File size:
      110.3 KB
      Views:
    • MC2.jpg
      MC2.jpg
      File size:
      133.8 KB
      Views:
    • MC3.jpg
      MC3.jpg
      File size:
      131.6 KB
      Views:
  11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd increase the top solid layers to 8 or 10

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Whatever your layer height, whatever else... you want a shell that is at LEAST 1mm of material for anything.
    Double that if it needs to actually be functional. A millimeter is not a long distance :)

Geof likes this.
  13. Suberman

Suberman Member

I'm not sure I understand. If you look at the screenshot it reads for layer height "The height of each layer of the print, except the first. A smaller number will create more layers and more vertical accuracy but a slower print." By changing the layer height to a bigger number I make my prints faster and use less material. I was thinking I need more material to fill in the gaps. I'm going to print another with the change layer height to 0.4mm from 0.1mm and top solid layers from 5 to 10. I will upload the results. I'm I the only one using Matter Control to print? I do have Cura if its better.

14. Suberman

Suberman Member

AMAZING!!! THANK YOU!! Its not perfect but its a better print at half the time. You just save half of my printer life :). Can you explain the logic of what I just told the printer to do?

Attached Files:

15. Suberman

Suberman Member

My tall prints are still coming out with no detail and now its stringy. How can I get a more detailed print when I print something tall? I'm referring to jpg 002825 and 002833. The pictures are laying down.

Attached Files:

16. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

It looks like you are printing too hot. You want to print with PLA at the lowest temperature that flows smoothly. That is why a lot of people print temperature towers to see just what the ideal temperature is for a particular roll of filament. Also note that no matter what you are printing lower layer heights and slower printing usually gives you better details. There are practical limits with the 0.40 mm nozzle, you want to keep your layer heights between 25% - 75% (as a general guideline) of the orifice size. That gives you a range of 0.10 - 0.30 mm for layer height. Anything less and if your printer isn't set up as mechanically perfect as possible then you will have issues with clogging, anything much more and the filament will just lay on top of the previous layer and not adhere.

Back to temperatures, what is printed on the label of the spool is just a recommended range. You may not be able to extrude at all at the lowest temperature, and you may be too runny at the highest.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  17. Suberman

Suberman Member

I will try different temperature setting. I will also move my layer height to .25. Its currently at .4. On the label reads
    diameter 1.75mm
    tolerance +/-.05
    weight 1KG
    ext. temp. 200C- 240C (392F-464F)
    I'm printing at 210

18. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Try 200°C for a small item. A lot of us print this

It is a fast print and can also help debug your slicer profile. If 200°C doesn't look good then try 205°, etc.

19. Suberman

Suberman Member

After several prints and changes I think my best print is a layer height .25 Temp 205 & 210. I never could get the top of the pyramid to come out good without having a blob.

Attached Files:

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The only way to make that work is to set a minimum layer print time and when small layers like that occur the slicer will make it pause and wait for one layer to cool before the next one is put down. (no, I do not know how to do that in MatterControl)