1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Help with repair

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Bromine, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Bromine

Bromine New Member

So, a friend of mine happened to get a new 3d printer since he didn't feel like repairing this one and wanted a new one anyway, and he ended up giving it to me anyway, so I have 2 questions.

1. where could I get the stepper driver hardware for the R1? The official site only has it for the R1+, so will that one work for this printer?

2. anyone have any good guides on putting this thing back together? I have 2 metal bars that need to go into the holes on the side and 2 more motors, as well as having to plug some stuff in, and a guide would help a lot.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The R1 and R1+ use the same fundamental electronics -- the RAMPS boards is customized slightly in the R1+ to remove connectors that were unused. The other difference is in the Z axis -- the R1 uses threaded rods and the R1+ uses integrated leadscrews. There are a couple of other minor changes, but those are the main ones.

You need to post a few more times to get enough history to post photos or use an external site to host your photos and post links to them. There is no on-stop guide, but there is a video here with someone who shows assembly/disassembly for an R1 (and it is mostly the same). The other videos are worth a watch as well.

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/helpful-videos-novice-expert.7478/

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Photos of what you are asking questions about are a big help in getting you correct answers :) Unless you know the right terminology we can't get precise answers to you. "metal bars" could be Z axis smooth rods or Z axis threaded rods (if it were an R1 rather than an R1+) and you are likely to have other questions so get some photos and we can get you answers.

4. Henradrie

Henradrie New Member

I went to my local 3d print store for stepper drivers.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

5. Bromine

Bromine New Member

thanks. I've confirmed its the R1 due to the micro sd card, but knowing that the same electronics work is super helpful, thank you. If it helps, they are both threaded.

6. Bromine

Bromine New Member

sadly, I can't post photos yet. not enough posts

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You are better off posting them on imagur or flickr or some other external site and then linking to them. The forum restricts the size of uploaded images and they can be really hard to view.