1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

help with top infill stringiness

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Savan12986, Mar 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Savan12986

Savan12986 Member

I recently got my printer and I'm having trouble with the quality of my prints. The top specifically. I've noticed that both the top infill and top solid infill are coming out incomplete and stringy. I've tried adjusting a number of settings and followed some advice on the forums for similar issues. I've printed a number of test boxes but I cant seem to get a clean top. I've decreased the print speed for solid infill from 60-40, I've decreased the top solid infill speed from 50-30, I've decreased the hot end from (225,215) - (220-210), I've increased the extrusion width of solid infill to 200% and top solid infill to 300% hoping to reduce the stringiness. And increased the extrusion multiplier from 1 - 1.1. I even increased the number of top layers from 3 - 4 and changed the pattern from rectilinear to concentric based on advice from someone who was having similar issues. I've included a picture of all my test prints (in order newest to oldest left to right) and a close up of my latest 3.
    IMG_20140326_125143_858.jpg
    IMG_20140326_125210_300.jpg
    Anyone got any further suggestions on what might be causing the issues with the poor quality of the top layer?

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Don't see the images try and repost them and we may be able to see something

3. Savan12986

Savan12986 Member

re-uploaded the pictures

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

try printing any of the files in the zip file they are all gcode files and will bypass any settings you have. They are set for PLA but a simple change of a few of the lines in Gcode will set the temp correctly. This will tell you if it is a setting in you r software or something to do with your printer

Attached Files:

5. Savan12986

Savan12986 Member

Ok. I printed from the g code. They are definitely printing better. The ones sliced by Cura look to be better, so I decided to print the test cube with Cura. Here are pictures of the 3 prints you sent me + the test box sliced in Cura. (Right to Left Slic3r cube, Cura cube, Cura test steps (program froze near the end), Cura test box)
    IMG_20140327_124425_180.jpg IMG_20140327_124448_469.jpg
    I increased the top layers from 3 to 6 for the test box and its the best top I've had yet. Is this as good as it gets or can it be improved?

I'm considering getting an upgraded hobbed bolt. I think it may help compensate for the slower speed of cura

Thanks

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

the prints tell me it is a settings thing you are using the printer seems to be doing what it is told so I would look to your settings.

There will always be improvements not sure if you adjusted temps or not and that would be one thing to look at as well

7. Savan12986

Savan12986 Member

What I think needs to be done is have it slow down and increase the feed rate and temp on the top solid infill. I did this manually and it turned out well. There aren't any direct settings for this that I can tell in cura, but I think I should be able to edit those settings in using g-code modifier

8. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

remember to try changing one thing at a time as that will let you rule it out completely if it does not help

9. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Savan, Looks like you are almost all set thanks to Jeff. Since you mentioned the hobbed bolt just check it every few prints and there should be no filament shavings in it. If there are it will eventually give you extrusion problems like missing segments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.