1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Here's a fun one... Heated Bed issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Docdead, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Docdead

Docdead New Member

So I have an original Kickstarter R2 that I've upgraded to the non pogo heat bed. unfortunately, I started getting "Error: Thermal Runaway, system stopped! Heater_ID: bed". Wow, that is reminiscent of the original pogo board issues I had, what the heck? Well I finally took the bed out to see what might be the issue... well....

https://imgur.com/a/xoSB51O

It looks like the connection on the bed and the cable have burned up the center two connections. The bed still heats up, but now that I see this, I am pretty sure I need a replacement cable and bed.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Replacement connectors for sure. Might contact Robo about the parts.

Geof likes this.
  3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The connector was undersized to begin with, that's why the power was spread over 3 pins for plus and 3 pins for ground. When you get your replacements make sure the connector fits snugly if it is even a little loose you can end up with the same issue or worse, a fire!

Geof likes this.
  4. Docdead

Docdead New Member

Unfortunately, my Kickstarter R2 has had too many issues that I've warrantied and is past the 1-year mark, so looks like I will have to shell out of my own pocket for a new cable and bed. I hope they have improved the design further so that this doesn't happen again. The joys of being a beta tester through Kickstarter.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That is a rough part of any "beta" set up or "kickstarter" set up.

I'd still reach out and act as though you are under warranty (just dont bring it up unless asked lol). Most times support will still help you out. If not let us know.