1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Herringbone Gears for the Robo 3D

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Melody Bliss, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Since the Robo 3D uses Greg Wade's (or is it Greg's Wade?) Extruder, it uses straight cut gears. But several reloaded/redesigned versions use Herringbone gears instead.

Do we know what kind of herringbone gears we'd need if we wanted to just do a drop in replacement?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I think the original thingiverse files from robo3d had the herringbone gears. they're just hard to injection mold and they dropped them. Lemme see if I still have the files.

3. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Thanks Mike. :)

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I did a little research and I didn't have any herringbone files. I swore I saw some on there at some point but the last update of their files was 4/4/13 so I don't know for certain.

5. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

2 people like this.
  6. scotta

scotta Active Member

Mike you did see some pictures - the original kick starter champaign showed the herringbone gears somewhere.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

8. James Harry

James Harry Active Member

I took the SCAD files, measured the injection molded gears and matched everything as best I could. I have printed both, but the shaft hole on my small gear is a bit small and I haven't taken the time yet to open it up a bit. The SCAD file is the right dimensions, but i think I might have had a bit of shrinkage

Here are the files if you want to try it out. The SCAD and STL files for this version are now posted on Thingiverse. I will be trying my own printed in ABS this week.

9. James Harry

BTW, this is my first foray into using SCAD, so I probably didn't modify it in the most efficient way possible. Feel free to let me know how to make it more better!

10. James Harry

In case anyone is interested, I've printed the gears several times, and made several tweaks. I'm now printing full time with them as printed from the files posted at http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:760093. Brief video at .
    [​IMG]

#10 James Harry, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 1, 2015
    Mike Kelly likes this.
  11. James Harry

Oops, autocorrupt changed "now" to "not". I am using these full time now. The purple adds a little color, lol.

Mike Kelly likes this.
  12. Peter

Peter Member

Are 3D printed herringbone gears really better than the molded straight cut ones?
    Did it improve a known flaw or problem in your prints?
    If they are really that much better, i might print a set on our Objet Alaris and then cast them in resin using a silicone pattern mold. I do this stuff all the time. the very fine resolution and glossy results of that 3d printer are great for reproducible castings.

13. James Harry

The herringbone gears have virtually no slop during movements and reversals. I like them fur the greatly reduced noise since they aren't "slapping" each other. I think it ends up with slightly more precision for extrusion.

Usin' Tapatalk

14. pitcjd01

pitcjd01 New Member

Are the gears on the R1 okay to print in PLA, or would I be better off using ABS, maybe HIPS?

15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

PLA is fine since it shouldn't see very high temps