1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Hexagon Hot end - Second thermistor Failure

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Matt Baker, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Matt Baker

Matt Baker New Member

Hello,

I've had filament clogging issues due to temperature failure errors with my Robo3D R1 Plus. I replaced the hexagon hot end a couple months ago and everything worked fine until I got a second failure. In both cases, the thermistor slipped out of its metal cylinder and white paste on the hot end, causing the failure.

I assume this would require a third hot end, since this thermistor isn't replaceable without the paste used to keep the thermistor from slipping out again. Are there any fixes I can do with stuff from Fry's, and without buying a third hot end?

If not, what does Robo3D suggest? I am leaning towards replacement and selling the printer and going with a printer with an E3D V6 (I know you can add this to the robo3d, but since it requires a printed part, its not a viable option, and I'd rather not put money towards the printer if this issue persists.

Thank you!
    Matt

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No clue :) Everyone here is a printer user, like yourself (we do not work for Robo). You could email them and ask (although I suspect a new hotend will be their answer). I personally have not found a good source for the canister thermistors used in the stock Hexagon hotend. I only left that in the C2 though, all my R1 series I swapped out from the stock hotend. You can get the printed part already printed if you buy from
    @Printed Solid

https://printedsolid.com/collection...oducts/e3d-hot-end-kit-v6?variant=32810874252

Get the E3D Direct Drive with Robo3D spacer plate.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You will be replacing thermistors at some point in any 3D printer (FDM style at least) since they do wear out. It is bad to have to do it on a newer one and I am not happy with the custom thermistors they use either.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you really want to replace just the thermistor, try scheduling an appointment with a tier-2 technician and see if they can't just mail you one. The ones who answer the phones are not going to be able to help I imagine. You might try the replacement part request form on their website too

5. Matt Baker

Matt Baker New Member

I requested a replacement part on their site. I'll follow up on this post.

Just wondering if you think this hotted would suffice / fit the R1+:

goo.gl/LtsvZ7

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Pretty much any hotend will work if it is intended for 12v

7. Marinecwo4@msn. com

Marinecwo4@msn. com New Member

I asked the same question of Robo about the white paste that holds the thermistor in place. I sent an email to them and a level 2 tech called me at 9 pm at night and talked to me. He said he didn't know what the white paste was, but he would send me a new thermistor and I received it the next day. It had the electrical plug, the thermistor in the brass tube/white paste. I just pushed it in, tightened down the threaded nut and plugged it in. Worked fine. However, it doesn't solve a problem if in the future I need to replace it again and I'm no longer under warranty. I would like to have a couple thermistors on hand as the go.

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member