1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Holes and rough spots in some areas

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Malek, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Malek

Malek Member

Hi, can someone please have a look at the attached photo and tell me what they think might be the cause of such an anomaly?
    The walls are coming out amazing otherwise.
    I used Slic3r with 0.2mm layer height, 10% infill, 60/45mm perimeter speed (internal/external), Hatchbox PLA, 210/75 nozzle/bed temp. Yeah, I know bed's too hot; I've since lowered it but I don't think that's the problem in this case. Could it be excessive moisture in the filament?

Question 2: See that 45 degree protruding line at the bottom of the photo? This is obviously where the nozzle changes layers. Other than changing the "Seam position", what would be some of the best ways to eliminate or minimize this?
    Thank you!

Screenshot_20170430-080035.png

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Believe it or not your extrusion temperature may be as well. Print one of the temperature test towers to find the best temperature.

As usual I will refer you here for visual troubleshooting guides:

(check Blobs and Zits)
    https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-troubleshooting/

and :
    (check Material Contamination)
    http://reprap.org/wiki/Print_Troubleshooting_Pictorial_Guide

and :
    http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/23-a-visual-ultimaker-troubleshooting-guide

Yep. Per the above guides that is likely due to steam. There are other possibilities, but that is one.

Randomize layer start is your best bet.

3. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

I'm no expert BY FAR, but found this online, not sure if this is the answer.
    Blobs and Zits
    [​IMG]During your 3D print, the extruder must constantly stop and start extruding as it moves to different portions of the build platform. Most extruders are very good at producing a uniform extrusion while they are running, however, each time the extruder is turned off and on again, it can create extra variation. For example, if you look at the outer shell of your 3D print, you may notice a small mark on the surface that represents the location where the extruder started printing that section of plastic. The extruder had to start printing the outer shell of your 3D model at that specific location, and then it eventually returned to that location when the entire shell had been printed. These marks are commonly referred to as blobs or zits. As you can imagine, it is difficult to join two pieces of plastic together without leaving any mark whatsoever, but there are several tools in Simplify3D that can be used to minimize the appearance of these surface blemishes.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

same as Marks above, but his is better, it provides links to the solution.

5. Malek

Malek Member

Thank you Mark, I will look at the links.
    And thank you Aznhlfan. I was literally JUST reading that page :) I think that refers to a different issue however; one that has to do with settings pertaining to the start/end of the perimeter extrusion. My issue does not happen on all layers. In fact, I've only just noticed it on the last couple prints. Only in isolated areas on the print. More noticeable on cylindrical objects that have no corners to hide imperfections. My next project will involve building a see-through box for my filaments with a mini dehumidifier.

6. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

Definitely listen to Mark, he has helped me figure out many problems. When u get finished with the filiment box and dehumidifier, post pics I am interested in building something like that as well.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It could also be related to over extrusion so be sure you calibrated the extruder just to rule that out.

8. Malek

Malek Member

You bet! There are also loads of them on Thingiverse. That's where I've been collecting ideas from.

9. Malek

Malek Member

Thanks Mark. I actually just did this calibration earlier today (and a week ago or so) :)

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, just wanted to rule it out.
    If that is cool then the other suggestions are the likely culprit.

I have run wet filament and that looks a bit extreme to be all due to 'steam' although some of it could be.

11. Malek

Malek Member

Just an update (hopefully this will help others): A couple weeks ago I placed all my filaments in a tight seal container with a large desiccant bag in there and have been been maintaining 10% humidity inside the container (as opposed to 50% on the exterior). I've been printing directly from the container, and my prints have gone from this:

Screenshot_20170430-080035.png

...To this:

IMG_20170514_112720.jpg

And it has been very consistent.

I can't tell you what a difference humidity makes in prints!

PARTY AT MY HOUSE... TONIGHT!!

IMG_20170514_113619.jpg

Yeah, it's temporary for now. Still needs work, but it's doing the job for now.

mark tomlinson likes this.