1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Homing Z show -001.0 on LCD

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by joea, May 20, 2023.

1. joea

joea Active Member

Chasing my tail once again, after making another attempt at manually leveling the bed (x axis, leadscrew and paper method) and doing a Z "home", it ends up displaying -001.0 on the LCD display.

If I raise Z, by 1mm, in this case via Octoprint, the LCD shows +000.0. I can get nothing between the bed an nozzle. If I raise it another 1mm, the LCD shows +001.0 and I can get a bit of paper between the nozzle and the bed.

How should this affect printing, specifically how to set "Z-offset" and/or, how to save in firmware the proper place for it to save a new value for "z-zero"?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There are some discussions on how to do this in the FAQ and they vary a bit based on which model you have.
    More importantly they vary by Marlin Version. If you have upgraded to a newer version of Marlin the procedure may be different.

So printer model and firmware are things we need to know to assist :)

3. joea

joea Active Member

Well it is an R1 "plus"-ish. Meaning Ive done the lead screw mods and "stuff". It has no "bottom cover", so it is a pretty early version.

The firmware Marlin, but exactly what version is not certain. I've complied it in Arduino but there is no version number I've been able to find. The LCD on startup flashes by too quickly for me to read.

The title of the file was ROBO3DR1PLUSV2 and this snippet is from the file:
    /*
    This firmware is a mashup between Sprinter and grbl.
    (https://github.com/kliment/Sprinter)
    (https://github.com/simen/grbl/tree)

It has preliminary support for Matthew Roberts advance algorithm
    http://reprap.org/pipermail/reprap-dev/2011-May/003323.html
    */

/* All the implementation is done in *.cpp files to get better compatibility with avr-gcc without the Arduino IDE */
    /* Use this file to help the Arduino IDE find which Arduino libraries are needed and to keep documentation on GCode */

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Ignore what the LCD is telling you and just get it set correctly so that the 1st layers are perfect. If you do the GCode for the autoleveling in the slicer make sure OctoPrint doesn't have any in its startup Gcode or rip it out of the slicer and put it all in OctoPrint. Can't do both :)

5. joea

joea Active Member

Yes. I pondered where to put it and opted for Prusa. Only thing in Ocotprint, is what what I put in for a "cancelled" job.