1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Horizontal smooth threads uneven...an issue?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Rasterize, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Rasterize

Rasterize Member

Hi guys!
    Make my first print last night (an oiler) which went ok. Prints right in the center of the bed. However when I started to print a part for my new spool holder which runs along the X axis it came un-stuck on the left side.
    So here is what I noticed but being a noob need your help.
    The hot end assembly moves along the X axis riding on two horizontal smooth rods. Should those rods be relatively even?
    Robo3D 1.jpg
    Mine definitely lean to the right and my prints seem to have an issue in the X axis.
    It looks that bad. No kidding, it's not just the photo. Any fix or is that normal. Just doesn't seem right.
    Thanks!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The two sides of the carriage should be close to dead even relative to the bed.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yes you should be able to slide the carriage back and forth a papers width above the bed without it changing height. Hold one threaded rod while twisting the other

4. Rasterize

Rasterize Member

Thanks guys!

5. Rasterize

Rasterize Member

Ok looks like I'm not there yet.
    Took the top off, held one threaded rod while twisting the other. Measured the distance from the surface of the bed to the horizontal smooth rod on each side. Got them to about 1mm of each other. Looks level now. Tried the bed calibration in matter control. Looked great!
    Tried printing in Cura and could tell right away during bed leveling that it was still off. Hot end never touched the bed on all the left side touch points. The first layer was unattached on the left and mashed down on the right. Back to square one. The bed leveling feature in Cura was not as straight forward as Mattercontrols.
    Next?

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I don't know why you're measuring. Just stick a piece of paper on the glass and move the carriage back and forth.

7. Rasterize

Rasterize Member

Sorry. New digital caliper... :)
    Sticking a piece of paper on the glass and move the carriage back and forth right now.

8. Rasterize

Rasterize Member

Sorry I'm just excited! I took the week off this week to play with my Robo!
    Thanks for your patience and help. :)

2 people like this.
  9. Rasterize

Rasterize Member

Ok. Powered down the Robo. Adjusted the threaded rods with a piece of paper has the guide so it was just dragging on the paper all the way across. Looked good.
    Started up the Robo, connected Cura and tried to print. Again during auto bed leveling it never touched the bed on all 3 of the left side touch points.
    Started to print and you can see the results below. The smooth rods are now out of level again. Weird.
    Robo2.jpg

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Either your motor isn't moving or sticking. Have you lubricated the rods?

11. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

Lift up the carriage so it's not sitting on the switches. Spin the switches to the left and right about a quarter turn then place them back to their original location. Then put the carriage back down on top. Then turn the threaded rods until you are at the correct height on both sides. Then try again. This solved it for me on 2 different occasions. The switches are just being activated before the nozzle touches the bed is what's happening (I believe so anyways).

12. Rasterize

Rasterize Member

White lithium grease this morning.

13. Rasterize

Rasterize Member

Spun the switches and leveled the Z rods. Again during auto level the extruder never touches the bed for the three points on the left side.
    The smooth rods are again out of level but not as much as before.

14. Jacob Kirsch

Jacob Kirsch Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the switches don't work with the Z motors independently, do they? I believe both motors should move the same steps all the time. If they are getting uneven, then one is not moving at the same rate as the other side. Simply moving the Z up and down should reveal which one is not keeping up. If it's stalling, then maybe it's getting bound by something, or the stepper controller is off...

Not to get ahead of myself, but switching the motor connections on the board should move the issue to the other motor if it's the stepper controller. If there is binding the same side will still be off. EDIT: Do the Z motors share the same stepper controller?

15. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No. I do not think so.

Edit: Yep they do. Ramps 1.4 has X/Y/Z/E0/E1 so they have to share Z.

#15 mark tomlinson, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2015
  16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Disable MatterControls Automatic Print Leveling. 3 point is outdated and shouldn't be used.

The Z motors work on the same controller. Same with the switches. They're wired in parallel so the circuit only looks for one input, but either switch will send it the correct signal.

17. Rasterize

Rasterize Member

I'm sorry, I might not have made myself clear.. It is doing a 9 point check in Cura. It's on the 3 left check points that it seems to actually go up, check a point 15 mm in the air and move on. On the other 6 check point (center and right) it actually touches the bed.

18. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

With the X axis level it won't touch the bed when the carriage is on the left? With left being the Non-motor side

19. Rasterize

Rasterize Member

It is when I start out. It's when auto level starts that it raises the carriage up instead of down to touch the bed.
    Should I try for a video?

20. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That would help give me a better visual as to what's happening. I think your switches might be off level and need to be repositioned.