1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Hot End Temperature

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Eric R., Jan 15, 2017.

1. Eric R.

Eric R. Member

I am having trouble getting my material to extrude properly. I'm using 1.7mm PLA - measured with a caliper, and entered into Slic3r. I've installed a new EV3 V6 hot end and a Titan extruder, but it seems that no matter how hot I set the temperature, my filament won't go through the nozzle with any consistency. I'll put a series of 10mm marks on it, then hit the button to have the extruder crank out 50mm. The first 10mm come out fine, but then the output slows down and it starts to get chewed up. If I wait a couple seconds and do it again, I see the same thing. It really makes me suspect that the hotend just isn't up to melting the plastic fast enough, but I've had it set at temperatures up to 270, and it's still not working well. I've run a thin guitar string up into the hot end, and I don't think there's a clog. Could my thermistor be wildly misreporting the actual temperature? Is there something anyone can suggest that I try? Thanks...

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Try increasing the tension of the Greg's Wade Extruder arm by tightening the two M3 screws.
    Try feeding it a bit slower, maybe 45 mm/s instead of 60 mm/s.
    I extrude Alloy 910 at about 245°C, you shouldn't need 270°C for smooth flow.
    Even though you checked, do you have spare nozzles that you can swap in? (If you don't, go to Amazon and buy a 5 pack or more, they are cheap insurance)

3. Eric R.

Eric R. Member

Thanks - I ended up taking the nozzle off to have a good look, and I think I might've melted the PTFE tubing where it comes out of the heat sink into the hot end. It's keeping the filament from making its way through. I'll be back after I replace it. I appreciate the help.

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

If your extruder fan is not running at 100% you can have this happen, it is called heat creep. Also if you shut off your printer while the hotend is still hot it can also happen.

Geof likes this.