1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Hotend crashing into bed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Rudi Schenk, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Rudi Schenk

Rudi Schenk New Member

Hi folks,

Lately I'm having the problem that during automatic calibration the hot end sometimes crashes into the heat bed. It's seems totally random. After the crash I cancel the print and the bed goes down totally, then up and then down again. Sometimes I just have to restart the R2 a couple of times and then it works as it should.

I have no explanation for the error, do you guys have any clue?

supercazzola likes this.
  2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I have only seen this myself, when the hotend is closer to the bed that it is out of range of the IR sensor. IR sensors are designed to trigger in a range, that range does not extend down to Z0. So I make sure the bed is at least 10 mm or more down from the hotend when I start up the printer. I have never seen this behavior at any other time.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. Rudi Schenk

Rudi Schenk New Member

The bed is always totally down when starting a print. I did clean the IR Sensor again (did do that before also) and now the printer is behaving normally. Maybe I missed a critical spot when I cleaned it before. I'll just keep an eye on it!

Still strange that if dirt on the IR sensor caused this issue, it seemed so randomly happening and not always immediately at the first 'checking point.

#3 Rudi Schenk, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Geof likes this.
  4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I have seen reports from others that say a dirty sensor might cause this. I have personally never had that experience, so I cannot comment on it.

Rudi Schenk likes this.
  5. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

I had it happen once.

I can't remember if it was because I had glue stick schmutz residue on the bed, or if it was that time that the print bed cable assembly found its way on top of the bed and was blocking the sensor.

It's only happened to me once, and since then, I've cleaned the bed and made sure the cable bundle isn't trying to interfere again.

Rudi Schenk likes this.
  6. AllenMcAfee

AllenMcAfee Guest

@Rudi Schenk checking in to see if you are still having this problem.

mark tomlinson and Rudi Schenk like this.
  7. Rudi Schenk

Rudi Schenk New Member

@AllenMcAfee nope! It didn't reoccur after cleaning the IR sensors.
    I'm using 3DLAC spray, so probably the sensor got dirty after a while.

Thanks for checking in!

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  8. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

I have also had this error - crash. It happens many times. I managed to video record it once, and i sent it to Robo. Going to try and replace the sensor. I think it is something else, as it never happened with the old firmware / OS...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

9. KenO

KenO New Member

Today I experienced a crashing into the center of the bed while the printer was doing its normal bed leveling prior to starting a print. I also experienced this doing a "Fine Tune Offset". I noticed that the LED comes on when the bed is close to it as it should, but I also noticed that as I watched it level the bed that the LED turned on for the left front corner, the right front corner, the left right center and at the center positon the bed dived up into the nozzle. I have checked all of the wiring as directed and I have not found any problems here. I checked the software as directed entering M119 in the Printer Terminal pane and the display responded as the directions show. I get the same display on the screen as other have and pressing reset does not fix the problem. This is the first print that I have tried with the latest version of the firmware 2.0.

What's going on!