1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Hotend too far from bed even after adjustments

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Gary Boyce, Jun 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary Boyce

Gary Boyce Member

Two days ago my R1 was printing great. Then all at once it was printing 1 mm above the bed. I have set the macros from their default values to -1.5 and it is still 1 mm above the bed after the auto leveling runs. What do I need to do to fix this.
    Mattercontrol 1.7

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Check you Z home switches and make sure that one of them is not out of position. If they are fine then...

Not a mattercontrol user, but if that were happening to me I would set the Z offset closer to the bed (less negative).
    Most slicers you do this in the startup GCode block:

G28;
    M565 Z-1.0
    G29;

Instead of using -1.0 for the M565 I wold make it less negative (which is closer to the bed)

Thing is if this was working with the same software then it is more likely one of your switches is out of position and reading Z Home when it is NOT.

3. Gary Boyce

Gary Boyce Member

Thanks for the reply. When it is homing and leveling, it looks normal. Touches the bed til the switch is depressed then raises and moves on to the next position. I have changed the macros to 0.5 which is a 1mm change from before more positive. It is still printing the same. What and how do I check/test to figure out what the issue is?

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I would suggest not using the Macros. Mattercontrol does wierd stuff with your Z offset. I'd consider (and urge) you to flush EEPROM and insert a M565 command into your start up script.

Also please verify your Z switches are both positioned correctly. Having one skewed will cause a real nightmare.

Gary Boyce and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. Gary Boyce

Gary Boyce Member

Thanks! Switched to Slic3r with repetier host, set it all up and got my first successful print in 4 days. Thanks thanks!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.