1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer Hotend Turns off after autolevel

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Gripp, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Gripp

Gripp Member

I've been having an issue where by hot end seems to turn off after autolevel. I can get the print to run again, but I have to go to my lcd display and set the nozzle temp back to my printing temp. For whatever reason, after autoleveling, it clears the temp and sets it to 0. I've been using the same GCode for a while, so it's a new thing that has happened. It happens whether I use S3D or Cura. Both of which used to print just fine. This issue started to happen just before the release of S3D 4.0.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Hardware problem almost certainly, not software.
    Check the GCode console when this happens for the word ERROR.
    You may have to scroll it back a long ways, but look at the entire log

Geof likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

at a guess a loose or bad connection for the thermistor. Like @mark tomlinson stated, we need the error log (you'll have to be hooked up via USB) to tell us what that error is otherwise evereything will be a guess.

5. Gripp

Gripp Member

I didn't get a chance to copy and past my s3d pronterface info. But I did go ahead and order a new thermistor. My E3D V6 uses the metal tube thing that inserts into the heater block. I tried the other night to unscrew and push the current one out to inspect the wires that are attached, but I can't seem to get it out of the heater block. Is this something I should do with a heated block or just try to use more muscle?

6. Ben Allgor

Ben Allgor New Member

If you are talking about the thermistor you should have a glass bead that is held in by a screw on the wires or a hex head screw with the wires coming out of the top. If you are talking about the heater a screw in the block clamps it into the block. I have removed both cold without any trouble.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No, the new E3D uses a cartridge type just like the newer hexagon (not the same firmware thermistor type, but a similar packaging to the canister one on the hexagon).

You should be able to force it out cold, but if you are having trouble do it hot (in case there is some slop filament on there)

That is the new canister style thermistor. Not to be confused with the larger metal tube with the larger gauge red or blue larger wires -- that is the heater core and also slides into the heater block :)

The thermistor is the small can and the heater core is the large can.

#7 mark tomlinson, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Ben Allgor likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is rather "fun" trying to keep up with all the changes in the hardware... the old style thermistors were just little glass beads (and easy to damage).

Ben Allgor and Geof like this.
  9. Ben Allgor

Ben Allgor New Member

Oops! I I need to stay up to date.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Surprised me too. I bought an new E3D for one recently and saw that.. Then I thought maybe it was the same size as the Hexagon one... but no :)