1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Hotend wires came off

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Michael J. Hammel, May 9, 2020.

1. Michael J. Hammel

Michael J. Hammel New Member

I removed the hotend to pull some stuck filament. I got the filament out but when I went to put the hotend back in some of the wires came off. It looks like they were previously soldered so I'm not sure exactly where they went. I can find no pictures showing where they should go or information on how to reattach them - I thought there might be a guide somewhere for changing out the hotend, but then this is a really old model so maybe it's not that easy?

I'm using a stock Robo 3D R1 Plus. Photos of the problem:
    1. Hotend, with missing wires.
    [​IMG]
    1. The broken wires.
    [​IMG]
    Anyone know how I should reattach these?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is (or was) the thermistor.
    You need to replace it.
    If it is an R1+ then it uses a canister style thermistor (those wires were tucked into a metal sleeve that was in the heater block). You can get them from PartsBuilt.com: https://www.partsbuilt.com/r1-thermistor-robo-3d/

if it was an R1 (not the R1+) then the thermistor was tucked under a screw that held it in contact with the heater block (and there would have been a black rubber boot around the whole heater block)

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The thermistor is what reads the temperature of the hotend. Without that you are not printing...

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If it was an E3D you can get the parts just about anywhere :)

5. Michael J. Hammel

It's an R1+.
    If you look at the image you can see the metal end in place. Is there a unique way to get it out other than pulling?

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That really is the only option you have at this point. If you have a small torch or a lighter you can heat the block a bit before trying to free it from the block -- that will help it come out. There is also a set screw that is usually threaded in to hold it in place so loosen that as well.

7. Michael J. Hammel

Yup, that was it. The set screw needed to be loosened. Fortunately there was a hex wrench that came with the printer to make that possible. So it's out, and I'll order a replacement.

Thanks for the help!!

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. Henradrie

Henradrie New Member

I had success replacing the thermistor on my r1+ by connecting another thermistor up and manually pressing it against the heater block so it recorded temperature. I was then able to pull the bad one out.

The new one didn't quite fit snugly in the hole so I had to melt some petg into the hole to hold it in. It worked until it didn't.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can wrap kapton tape around it to hold it to the heater block, that is how the original J-Head did it :)