1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How complicated is a upgrade to an E3D V6

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Ajm, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Ajm

Ajm New Member

I decided today I want to upgrade my robo to an E3D V6 hotend to improve print quality with exotic materials like ninjaflex, I just want to know the progress of it will I need to print new fan brackets? When I upgrade should I get the stud thermistor or just the standard? I'm at a intermediate understanding of the process but what could I possibly mess up in the process which could make my printer non-functional? I hope to order my E3D soon from printed solid. Thanks

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I will probably never not use the stud thermistors.
    When I need hotter I drop in a thermocouple.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

As for the rest of the question, it is not difficult (even easier with the stud thermistor). Only a few wires and screws to mess with.
    I have as of today done like 6 of these conversions.

Just take your time and pay attention, it is really not rocket science. Remember to update the firmware if you either (1) decide to use the standard E3D thermistor (type has to change) or (2) want to increase the max temp.

4. Ajm

Ajm New Member

With the hotend and thermistor wires already on my robo they go into a clip on connector which look like they are keyed do I just plug in the E3D wires into the sockets or do I have to reroute the cables through the big black tube?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you replace the heater core then that has to be re-routed through the cable wrap. If you reuse the heater core then you are fine with a connector.

If you reuse the existing thermistor you are fine, if you replace it with the metal stud thermistor you can just swap it at the hotend connector as well.

Really the only reason to rewrap the cable bundle is if you replace the heater core. If you do the basic E3D then there is no need to replace the heater core. The Volcano adapter would need that done (it has a higher wattage heater).

It is not a huge issue, rather just a waste of time having to unwrap and rewrap the bundle :)

6. Ozzie Alarcon

Ozzie Alarcon Member

I did my E3D V6 conversion about a month ago and I will say it wasn't a simple two hour job. (at least it wasn't for me.) I am very OCD about everything I own so I wanted to make sure I got the install right (and perfect) on the first try. Maybe this is the reason why it took me almost a week. lol

Seriously though, I would do a search on Youtube for Novice Expert's E3D V6 video. He did a great job on that video and it helped me out a lot. I will also say you should use the stud thermistor sold on printedsolid website. That way you won't have to worry about screwing around with your printer's firmware.

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer