1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How do we use hairspray successfully?

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Narnian, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

Measured my first layer and it is .29 to .34mm so seems to be ok, fairly flat.

2. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

If your print goes outside the heat zone and you're printing with the bed heated it will curl. To print bigger than the heat zone use 3M Blue Original Painter's Tape with the bed off and the print fan at 100%, you can wipe the tape over with methylated spirits for even better adhesion.
    When using hairspray I heat my bed to 65C. This is for PLA.

3. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

4. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

Light surface misting?!!! Heck no... douse that stuff. I mean.. you don't want to affect your layer thickness with globby uneven coats.. but .. I find a "wet" coating works much better than a misting. Though for good (not high or low quality) abs. it barely matters.. little... lot.. its all good.

5. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

Yep the more the merrier, I have Aquanet and sometimes very hard to get the parts off, so just let it cool down, then spray water on them and comes off fine.

6. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

I use denatured alcohol. But yea.. aquanet. cheap.. reliable... aquanet.
    [​IMG]

7. AutopsyTurvy

AutopsyTurvy Active Member

I've found the opposite - if you put too much at one time, you end up with it forming a very smooth surface that the filament doesn't adhere to as well. You can always add multiple thin coats to build up a decent layer, but if you're making puddles, it's almost as smooth as the glass underneath and won't tend to stick once you start printing.

8. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

Youre probably printing pla with the bed cool or off and maybe a full sized first layer. Even pla will melt down into the hairspray. But i print pla with a 60 degree bed... And a 75% first layer. Just for hair spray's sake. When the bed turns off and cools to.. About 40... The part comes right off. At 60+ you'd have to use a hammer.