1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved How do you properly remove Filament

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Jay312, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Jay312

Jay312 Member

So my big problem this week was I tried a new Filament and I wanted to switch colors so I just cut the old filament and thought I extruded it, I was way wrong, some snapped and jammed in the extruder probably in the worst spot. it was also very clogged. Many attempts at trying to fix the problem from reheating to using more filament to push through then finally a oven at 500 degrees, all helped but overall it was a mission fail. So frustrating to say the least.

So what is the best way or proper way to change Filament? I just dont want to go through what I just went through again.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You have to remove it from the feed. That means loosening or opening the feed (two spring loaded screws) right at the hobbed bolt and pulling the old filament out with the extruder hot. I just always remove the screws and open the feed all the way so I can see what I am doing.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

PS. you cant cut it above the hobb and feed it through since the hobb is all that is pushing it... once the cut section goes past the hobb it will stop feeding if it is cut.

Geof likes this.
  4. Jay312

Jay312 Member

Thank you once again Mark you have been a big help:)

5. fastbike02

fastbike02 New Member

probably not right but I heat mine up and back it out till I can push the feed arm and rip it out

mark tomlinson likes this.