1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How long do you have to heat (dehydrate) filament

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Lance Weston, Jun 5, 2022.

1. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

I have previously posted how to convert a Sanlu dehydrator. I want to explain how I use it to improve print quality.

I set my dehydrators to low limit 49C high limit 50C, low limit 16%RH and high limit 17%RH. Both limits must be out for the heater to heat (<49C and >17%RH).

When you put a new roll into the dehydrator the first thing you notice is the RH% goes up as the TempC goes up as the moisture leaves the plastic. At some time you will notice the TempC is significantly lower than 49C and the %RH is <17%RH. This is the point at which you can use the filament having removed the moisture.

I have some plastics that come in at 24%RH and are printable, the finish improves when I move the moisture down. I have found this takes from 2 to 4 days. Sunlu takes 4 days and the finish significantly benefits from from waiting

This is set and forget. The temp stays high until RH% hits required level then drops down to a much lower maintenance temp.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      326.2 KB
      Views:
    #1 Lance Weston, Jun 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
    mark tomlinson likes this.