1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How to edit firmware?

Discussion in 'Software' started by cnr141, Aug 29, 2014.

1. cnr141

cnr141 Member

I been reading forum threads about the editing firmware, guys say edit the h files by arduino etc. but where is these .h files , where is these firmware files, i want to make my max temperature higer how can i do it?

People share auto bed level 6_10 files , i ve donwloaded them but i dont know where i am gonna copy them or what is supposed to do with them.

Can somebody explain it with details coz i am new with these.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

-Extract the Zip file to a directory, edit whatever you need changed in the CONFIGURATION.H
    -Download and install the arduino IDE from arduino.cc
    -Open the Arduino IDE and load the Marlin.ino (or whatever the *.INO file is with that firmware)
    -Select the BOARD type as an Arduino Mega from the menu
    -Connect and upload it to the printer (file/upload).

That is pretty much it.

Delroy Pearson likes this.
  3. cnr141

cnr141 Member

thanks man, m really greateful to you.. i ll try and let you know about the results.

4. RokleM

RokleM Member

Adjusted to answer addition question so you don't have to search like I did ;)

2 people like this.
  5. cnr141

cnr141 Member

i ve tried to upload the configuration.h file , i ve edited the max temp. but couldnt compile or upload it.. here is the error below.
    Screenshot_1.png

this is the second one i get

Screenshot_2.png

#5 cnr141, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2014
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

It looks like you might have tried to compile the "configuration.h" file.

Instead you need to open the file with the *.ino extension. Usually that will be something like "marlin.ino". When you do that all the other necessary files will be loaded as well. Then you can try to compile.

If this does not help then try to compile one of the Arduino examples - for example menu File > Examples > 01.basics > blink.

If this example does not compile there is a problem with your installation of the Arduino IDE. Reinstal should fix it.

Also I don't think anyone has told you that you need to select the correct usb upload port in the Arduino IDE before uploading. The usb port number should be listed under the IDE > Tools > Serial Port menu.

#6 Ziggy, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2014
  7. cnr141

cnr141 Member

i had figured out the usb port .. i checked , its true..

but when i open marin.ino it takes it to a new folder...

i couldt get the steps that i have to follow to change the max temp then compile and upload etc :S

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

The is a design "feature" of the Arduino IDE.

For example you can unzip marlin into a directory called XXXX but as soon as you open an ino file like marlin.ino, the Arduino IDE will automatically create a new directory called "marlin" with the files in it. You have to compile marlin.ino from that directory.

First step is to compile successfully without changes.

AJinFLA likes this.
  9. AJinFLA

AJinFLA New Member

Zig I really need help. I was printing but no lcd. I had the autolevel 8mm rod firmware on arduino. I then tried to add marlin update and it conflicted w ton of lines from Auto_Level_7_17_8mm.zip. I started over w black arduino and just updated marlin and it all took great, lcd lit up, ready to install some of ur magic spells . It preheated great, when ready to print bed temp went to 0 and wouldnt start back up, I finally tried to print w no bed heat but controls would not move, home x slammed into right side, extruder and directions seemed to work against each other and I had to abort.

Can you please do a walk thru for me? I have no idea about offsets, also saw your post on seting stepper motors to be more accurate with some changes but then the files got5 pulled for repair I think. Somewhere on the forum I also got sent to dl this. U8glib_arduinov1.17.
    Seems like firmware fighting other firmware settings.

If I start over w newest arduino, what and in what order should I add these next upgrades? I can get skype up probably, lol. Also can give you my cell. I know I'm asking a lot but I am truly messed up here.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

I've PM'ed you

AJinFLA likes this.
  11. AJinFLA

AJinFLA New Member

Hi Ziggy. Well I don't know precisly how but I got everything reloaded and running now, took 4 days of trial and error but got there thanks to reading all your posts again. I can't find a few I had seen in the past as far as shutting down printer after print and nozzle etc cool, as well as the guesstimate of time remailing or the sd card graphic. Really amazing work. I really appreciate you ready to be there for me. Not all of the sites hero's are the same in shoutbox or private as they are where public can see their efforts. Really, thanks for being there Z. I look forward to chatting soon, and if your not to busy could you point me to the adjustments your able to run with the new lcd improvements please? Thanks AJ

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. Inspector General Snogget