1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How to fix non round shapes?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Peter Krska, Mar 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I am seeing that some round shapes are coming out oval.

How can I find out what is out if alignment? Where do I start?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Do you get this shifting anywhere else?

3. Peter Krska

Not noticing that. But I am investigating whether the software setup might be to blame.

I am using another computer, faster than mine, and Eepetier 0.90f to slice. I did not really pay attention to the settings since all I wanted was to slice it. I then took it to my Repetier 0.90d and it's already setup with the bed dimensions.

I'm wondering if that has something to do with it?

I am now going to setup the other version to match mine so they are the same.

Silly mistake but I wasn't sure it would make all that difference. Perhaps it does. Stay tuned.

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

that has to do directly with the stepper motors. One of two things I can think of wither the power is too low or too high that drives it or the steps per mm need to be adjusted.

Try printing the 15 mm cube make it solid and then some how mark which side is X and which is Y and then measure them they should be 15.0mm or very very close.

This will help in getting the right numbers if this is the problem

The power issues is a bit more complex the first things to do is to feel the motors they should be just above room temp or slightly warm.

A very inaccurate test:
    Too much power and they get hot and this is not a good thing.
    If they are just barely warm then the power is probably set correctly.

More accurate is to measure the voltage of the controllers which is a process in itself.

If a motor gets to how it skip steps and if it not powered enough it may not be able to hold position accurately. Both situations can cause slippage to occur, but due to the fact the image does not show jumps but a steady print (edges don't appear to be angled) I think it may be the step size.

5. Peter Krska

Is it a setting in Repetier? Step size? Could it have something to do with the printer settings or configuration?

Motors seem fine.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Use the plastic screw driver they gave you and manually adjust the potentiometer on the ramps stepper drivers.

7. Peter Krska

Here is a pic showing the misalignment:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. Peter Krska

How would I go about tuning the steppers? Should it be on and turn pot, test print?

Or what does counter-clockwise vs clockwise do to the motors? Just want to understand what it is I have to do in more detail.

9. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

by looking a that print I would guess it is the steps per mm the reason I say so is this you can obviously seeextra linear motion along x by that straight section but the y is also affected or else the remaining parts would be more circular along the y axis but there are being stretched out as well.

This is what I would first upload some pics of your settings from repetier so we can see them then using teh following gcode to print this cube using gcode directly bypasses you repetier settings but not your firmware settings it seems to smooth to be a motor voltage issue but check that at some point as well.

After the cube is done mark the sides so you can remember the axis and then measure it and let us know what the measurements are that is a firmware setting so if it is off then you have to get a copy of the firmware from the forum and make the change and upload it to the Ramps card.

I actually put three in there 2 versions of the cube one from cura and one from repetier and the 5 step calibrate pyramid

Attached Files:

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

2 people like this.
  11. Peter Krska

Would a loose Y belt underneath the bed have anything to do with this issue?

12. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Possible, although I would think it would be less consistent.
    Still, if it is loose tighten it up. That is an easy fix (if it works).

13. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Mark is right a loose belt would be seen by more jumps but what what you see is a smooth transition I really think it is the stepper motor step size

14. Peter Krska

Thanks, I am now using Matter Control. Tightened the belt and no difference. Will have to do that stepper control tweak, although I am really scared that I might make it worse. Should I use a volt meter? I see Mike's link. Will try that.

15. Peter Krska

Um, Mike's link is impossible to understand without a degree in Electrical Engineering. Just saying.

16. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I would try the step size first it is easy and it is something you will probably have to learn how to do sometime

The adjustment for the pololu is not that hard to do but it helps if you have a third hand sometimes. The contact points you have to adjust and make measurements from are on the smaller side and to me it was a bit of a pain but then my thumb pretty much covers the whole pololu board LOL not the most dainty, you could find it much easier.

Check with Mike he may be able to walk you through it if has the time he's pretty sharp. His links are always good.

17. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Get a 2 or three layer circle pattern to play with and you can adjust/test-print/adjust easier.

18. donhuevo

donhuevo Active Member

Before you touch the pots on a RAMPS driver, make sure your setscrews are tight on the belt gears. I was getting the same 'out-of-round' shape and it was the set screws on my 'Y' motor.

2 people like this.
  19. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

well that is an easy check as the non circular is the x axis and not the y so that set screw is easily available

20. donhuevo

donhuevo Active Member

circles.JPG
    In the picture earlier in this thread w/ the circle on the green tape, you'll see the flats of the circle are to the front and rear of the bed. I had the exact same scenario. It was because there was play in the 'Y' travel. As soon as I tightened the set screws on the gear underneath the bed, I was golden. Perfectly round!

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.