1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How to get better resolution, below 300 micron?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JAG, Nov 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAG

JAG New Member

We are printing ok at 300 micron using PLA. Running nozzle at 200C and bed at 40C. Having problems getting anything to print below 300 micron. Any tips or someone want to share their slicer configuration settings. Using Repetier. Thanks.

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok first of you need to tell us the problem you are having I never use heat on the bed when I use PLA so taht could be part of the issuei don't know because I don't know what the issue is if it something like getting it to stick to the bed I would say that about 98% of the time the cause of that is the the z height (bed height) is too far from the nozzle.

I have made a print at 50microns
    and I have also done two others one at 25 and one at 10
    the last two were the same object which was just under 15mm tall the 10micron print has over 14500 layers took about 90 minutes to do
    The texture on the 10 micron print was felt like wet dry sand paper no layers could be felt the pics do not do it justice but here they are anyways
    pyra 1.jpg pyra2.jpg pyra3.jpg pyra4.jpg pyra7.jpg pyra8.jpg pyra9.jpg
    the last three are the 10micron prints

as far as your issue tell us what is wrong and we can help

3. Ben Lindstrom

Ben Lindstrom Active Member

I've printed at 200microns and 100 microns. I've had to adjust the hot-end down slightly when I've done so, but nothing else. I've had great success so far, and my print bed is still leveled via a simple level. I've yet to sit down and print the dial indicator holder I've modified to fit mine.

I suspect I'll do that before trying 50 microns. Which is about as low as I more than likely will go before heading back up to 200microns as it seems like a nice balance for what I'm doing so far.

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

200 microns is what I print at most of the time only for special things do I change

5. JAG

JAG New Member

The problem is that below 300 micron, the filament is not sticking and being dragged around by the nozzle after being laid down. I will try lowering the nozzle further.

Besides "try lower" is there any rule of thumb clearance between the nozzle and bed...like to print 200 micron, set the nozzle at 200+x micron above the bed?

If there is a rule of thumb, the 3d printer software could set the nozzle height automatically, based on the resolution. To do this, you would set (zero) the nozzle at a constant height, say 100 micron, and depending on the resolution you want printed, z axis height would be automatically adjusted for the first print. Perhaps that exists already. It would save having to adjust the nozzle height for different resolutions.

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I can almost guarantee the reason you are having issue is you inital bed height once you understand what to look for setting it is very easy to do. Each filament and printer is different so I do not see how there can be a default setting it depends on the combination of again the printer the filament the object being printed resolution desired etc.

It is more a visually setting I have techniques that I use and have been shown to be very effective but you have to be taught what to look for it boils down to what the initial layer looks like it needs to be flattened but solid get that right and the rest will follow.

I fyou are on Skype look me up and I can help get you set up properly send me a contact request mention Robo so I know it is not spam search for Jeff Janes or jj.tesseract. We could do this here or in a conversation but the IM and pic ability makes it work a lot faster and it is free also

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.