1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How to reduce Ghosting

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Lance Weston, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

Ghosting has been a problem for me. I have 2 R2's and decided to build my own machine from EU3030 extrusions using the R2 mechanical design as a reference. It has 4 posts for the bed and 2 z steppers so it does not vibrate relative to the hotend. It uses all of the R2 code and thinks it is an R2. I changed the bearing blocks to not have springs and to use open loop belting. My hotend removed the sloppy LM6LUU bearings and put in bronze bushings. I now had zero slop and not surprisingly my ghosting nearly disappeared.

I now put the revised hotend and bearing blocks on an R2. This reduced the ghosting quite a bit, not as much as my home brew machine but a big difference none the less.

Now I wanted to get the same results on an R2 with the minimum amount of change.

Having determined that the largest ghosting component was due mostly to a loose hotend (bushing block component is unknown because all my machines have been modified) I decided to put polymer LM6LUU bearings in the original R2 plastic. This was a disaster, the bearings are so tight that they were useless. I put back in the steel LM6LUU bearings as a sanity check. Everything moved freely, too freely and the hotend now had play.

I decided the loosen the gears and move the rods such that the hotend had some resistance and no play. I did this for both axis and lo and behold the ghosting was much reduced. I have not measured how much out of square I have made the machine, but it felt so slight so as to not matter.

So if ghosting is a major problem you can experiment with adjusting until the play in the head is removed.

mark tomlinson likes this.