1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Howdy fellow Robo3d'ers. I have a Kickstarter Beta version. Where do i start?

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by Dzuy Nguyen, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Dzuy Nguyen

Dzuy Nguyen New Member

Long story short, I backed the Kickstarter campaign and got this printer awhile back. Life got in the way and I never touched it till now. So looking for suggestions on the following topic:
    1. Software? Can i use the MatterControl 1.1 on the Beta Robo3D? Or does that only support the R1 version?
    2. Firmware? Should i be using a specific firmware on this?
    3. I'm using the Getting Started video for the R1 but is there a Getting Started video for the beta version?
    4. Any tutorials that I should be following?
    5. Any gotchas that I should be looking out for with the beta version?
    Sorry for the load of questions, still a complete noob with 3D printing and I'm surfing around the forum for tips, but most things i find are related to the R1 version instead of the beta version.

2. Dzuy Nguyen

Dzuy Nguyen New Member

I think i found the answer to my first question. The MatterControl does have the option for the Robo3D Beta version. :oops:

And the SW does have the option to update the FW. So I guess that answer question number 2 then too.

3. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

Wow, tons of good questions. I'm still running the early kickstarter version also so I can try to help.
    Mine is still the PLA, non-heated bed, is yours heated or no?

Best advice I have is as follows;
    1. Stay as far away from Mattercontrol as you can. Repetier and Cura are your friend.
    2. I'm still running the marlin 3.14 firmware, because without any of the newer autolevel stuff, there is no need to mess with it.
    3. There are a few basic videos from early on, but honestly this forum is a much better help if you spend some time on the older threads.
    4. that would be nice.
    5. Every machine is different so take issues as they come. I swapped my hobbed bold, bought a $2.75 piece of glass from home depot for the bed and did some adjustments to the threaded rods, but that's about it.

Keep us posted and take pictures :) It's a great printer even in beta. I've got probably over 1000 hours on mine and still running mostly stock. so it is a great machine if you roll with the adjustments early on.

4 people like this.
  4. Dzuy Nguyen

Dzuy Nguyen New Member

Thanks for the quick reply AxisLab! I got the ABS/PLA version. So i got a heatbed with it.

I didn't see your post till now, so I already started playing with the MatterControl and the firmware that came with it :( I'll try downloading the other SW and load a difference FW pretty soon here.

Started to do a quick print, but I noticed that my Z-axis isn't working at all. Upon inspection, the threaded rod on the z-axis isn't connected to anything. I snapped some pictures. Let me know if i'm crazy or not here.

Attached Files:

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Look on the underside. There should be a nut on the Z threaded rods that comes up under the carriage to cause it to lift.

6. Dzuy Nguyen

Dzuy Nguyen New Member

Thanks Mark, I found the nuts on both the rods. They were just too low and were never properly seated inside the carriage. Raised them up and the Z-axis is working now :)

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  7. AxisLab

While you're looking around in there, the smooth rods in the back, take a look at where they attach to the bottom. those little black smooth rod holders at the base had a tendency to crack during shipping for a number of us.

Edit; If you like matter control, there is nothing wrong with still using it, it's just there seem to be a lot off funky issues with it and I decided to avoid it.

3 people like this.
  8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, I agree with @AxisLab -- there are far better choices than MC. If it works for you, run with it. When you outgrow it you have options.

9. Dzuy Nguyen

Dzuy Nguyen New Member

Awesome, I'll check out the base of the smooth rod when I get home from work.

As for the SW, I'm still an blank page when it comes to this. So I'll be testing out several of them to see which i like the most.

10. Dzuy Nguyen

Dzuy Nguyen New Member

11. AxisLab

I don't have a heated bed so not an issue for me, but all printers now ship with a fan on the board. That should be one of the first things you do, yes.

12. Dzuy Nguyen

Dzuy Nguyen New Member

So I think my hot end done for, it's clogged. I took it all apart, but still unable to unclog it.

Searching around it seems like the E3D-V6 is a popular upgrade. Do you guys recommend this hot end?

13. AxisLab

if I were to upgrade that is the one for sure. #2 to save cash is the Hexagon.
    However, a "clog", should not necessarily require a replacement, can you give a little more detail?

is the filament binding up top near the gear, or is it getting chewed up by the hobbed bolt that is attached to the big gear?
    With early models, a lot of us replaced that hobbed bolt first thing.

14. Dzuy Nguyen

Dzuy Nguyen New Member

So here's the picture of the hot end. The PLA broke off right at the top of the plastic end. I tried heating up the hot end and using small metal pin to push it though, but it wouldn't budge at all. I also tried to separate the plastic rod from the metal nozzle, but it ended up slightly deforming the plastic end. I read online that some people are using guitar strings to clear through the nozzle, haven't tried that yet though.

Thanks for the heads up in upgrading the hobbed bolt. I did a quick search on the forum and order this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221434643179

Attached Files:

15. AxisLab

What temp were you running/heating to?

16. Dzuy Nguyen

Dzuy Nguyen New Member

I was heating it up to 230 C

17. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

2 people like this.
  18. Dzuy Nguyen

Dzuy Nguyen New Member

Thanks for the input Steve. I went ahead and ordered both the MOSFET and Polyfuse from Mouser. Here's the link to them for anyone who might be interested: