1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Humming Noise When Powering On

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Deviant Spark, Mar 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deviant Spark

Deviant Spark New Member

When I first turn on my Robo 3D R1 I get an occasional humming noise for a period of time. It goes away if I power off/on a few times but its getting louder and occurring more frequently. I am suspicious it is a fan but I verified it's not one of the two on the print head. However, since I can't tell exactly where the sound is coming from I posted a video in hopes it will sound familiar to someone:

https://youtu.be/FGlePc9AOfw

2. Chuck Erwin

Chuck Erwin Active Member

There is a fan on the bottom also, a very important fan.

Mr Smiley, Deviant Spark and Geof like this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ditto. Mine is currently making a whirring noise on start up as well. I'll be replacing it shortly for the 2nd time. I suggest getting some extras as it can be used for the parts cooling fans as well.

Deviant Spark likes this.
  4. Deviant Spark

Deviant Spark New Member

Interesting, it's currently in a 14hr print so I can't check at the moment but I bet that is the problem. Where do you buy the fan from? I don't see it in the parts list. My printer is still under warranty so if this is the issue I'll have to see if I can get a replacement part.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

It's on the bottom cover if your looking at the front of the robo it's the front right corner. I bought mine from Amazon when I got the printer and yes robo will send you a warranty fan. But you'll probably want a few laying around for dual cooling fan mod for pla (improves print quality a lot). I thinking I were you I'd fill out a parts warranty request on robos site. You can get cheap fans like I did or quiet fans like many others have. I'll jump over to Amazon and see if I can find the fans I bought and post the link. 40mmx40mmx10mm is the fan size.

Deviant Spark and mark tomlinson like this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002...x40x10+fan&dpPl=1&dpID=31QcP5MD5LL&ref=plSrch

Those are the fans I bought. For the fan under the printer I used the original connector. Cut out the yellow wire on the fan and soldered and heat shrink tubing the wires (red to red black
    To black)

For the dual parts fan mod I bought jst connectors and wired appropriately with the same fan(bought 6 fans) so I made a y connector so all the fans were plug and plays. If you want to go that route send me a pm and I'll help you through it or start a post in the upgrades section.

MChrisP1 and Deviant Spark like this.
  7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

8. Deviant Spark

Deviant Spark New Member

Thanks for the information and help. I removed the bottom cover and found there was a piece of packaging foam stuck in the fan you mentioned. After removing the foam that fan is now spinning. Interestingly, the original sound persists and is coming from the back region. I can't tell exactly where because it only seems to happen when first turned on and then it goes away. The sound doesn't return when I turn off/on again until it's been sitting for awhile. Its strong though because I can feel some vibration in the chassis. Is there another fan in the back area? Do you know what the best way to open this area up is? Here is a picture of where I am referring to: Robo 3D.jpg

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That's your power supply there is a fan in there but I haven't gotten that far into mine so I can't be much help. @mark tomlinson , @Mike Kelly or @WheresWaldo can surely help with this. I would believe if you removed the cover the fan would be there but if it's under the 6 month warranty robo would surely do right by you and replace it

10. Deviant Spark

Deviant Spark New Member

Upon further review the noise actually seems to be coming from the small fan on the left side of the print head. I had previously rolled this out, but now that it's on its side and I can get closer this appears to be the problem area. I'm going to get some dust spray tomorrow and see if that clears it up before trying to replace the fan.

11. LumpyDVC

LumpyDVC New Member

The power supply fan in there is a 60mmx60mm and can be replaced like the others. I suggest using rubber pull-through fan mounts to help deaden any vibrating noise as well. Not sure what the original fan depth is? 10mm? but I do know a 60mmx60mmx25mm will fit in there.

12. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

That's a 25mm. You can have Robo replace it, or search for a quieter 30mm fan and print this fan block (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:871343). That will also set you up for dual 40mm part cooling fans. I liked adding the dual fans to my printer. Or you could even use this adapter (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1124054) to put a 40mm fan on it to replace the hot end fan if you really want to get crazy ;)

13. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Let me just say this authoritatively: There are NO quiet 25 mm case/CPU fans!
    If I could make that sentence blink I would

Deviant Spark, Geof and danzca6 like this.
  14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Well there are quiet 25mm fans but they move like no air.

15. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Are you saying that the only quiet 25mm fan is a dead 25mm fan? Haha!

16. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

That was my take on what he said.

17. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Might as well be. I have one that makes no noise and I'm not convinced air is actually moving across it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.