1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

I am not sure I can deal with the flakiness anymore

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by drbanks, May 5, 2018.

1. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

So, after spending a week dialing in my PETG settings (and I think I'm finally there), I peel off a test print, find it about as much to my liking as I think it's going to get, and go queue up the next print.

And on the first of the 9 probes for the bed levelling, the extruder gets crashed through the bed. I watched it: forget whatever my Z-offset was, that lead screw was trying to crank it all the way up to 0, and it was tipping that corner of the bed in the process.

Tried a bunch of stuff, rebooted, cycled power, tried a bunch more stuff, got it to do the first six probes successfully before crashing in the left rear, uttered the usual monosyllabic words of Anglo-Saxon origin, and promptly commented out the Gxx command to run the levelling routine from the Octoprint start script.

It's printing fine now.

Except in the process of trying to get the probing to work again, at some point my touch screen went back to that mode where it just ignores any input and once again, I had to reseat all the wires from the PI to the LCD.

At this point I'm starting to ask myself, will I ever be able to depend on this stupid thing?

Starting to get annoyed.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

@Jerry

The punch-through-the-bed effect has been reported by several other R2 users here.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

3D printing at this level is still not a Plug & Play type of device. The plan is to move 3D printing more and more toward being an appliance, but Robo is still far from that yet. Maybe in the next few years we will see more work done on User interface, more on auto-leveling, and general enhancements made by the same people that make up the major players in the hardware market. Until then it is just like the Wild Wild West out there. The C2 and R2 are steps in the right direction but they are just baby steps. There is still too much to tinker with to become an appliance.

4. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

Yes, I know. Just bitching at the fact that the printer never just runs; it always has some crappy little problem that I can work around, but leaves me at a constantly degraded state.

5. Jerry RoBo 3D

Jerry RoBo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Everyone. I just want to comment on an R2 printer I helped install at a school last week. After I did the update on the R2 I experienced no problems. I ran several prints and ran the fine tune wizard. All worked as expected the very first time I tried them.

Therefore I must draw the conclusion that this is not a systemic problem but rather case by case. I really need more data from the community to learn as much as possible about this problem. Can I please suggest that once we discover the problem again we take time to run some tests before changing anything?

6. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

I know that at least two instances of nozzle crash happen on printers with the flexiplate installed, and I can only assume that a slightly misaligned plate somehow messes with the sensor.

7. renzobenzo84

renzobenzo84 New Member

My machine is 20 days old and I experienced bed crashing on my 3rd print. I have updated the r2 to latest firmware. I haven't been able to print since the 5th day of delivery.

8. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Best read the Warranty carefully and decide whether or not to return it to wherever you bought it from, because specific machines that have issues out of the box tend to be snowball "crap keeps going wrong" machines.

Return and Exchange until you get a machine that works.

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not a bad idea. You deserve a working machine.

10. Jerry RoBo 3D

Staff Member

@renzobenzo84 Thank you for letting us know. Can we have you run a few tests?

11. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

It would probably be more effective to exchange printers so you can test the unit in question yourselves rather than have someone that may or may not be as technically familiar with the printer as you are trying to run said tests and report everything that happens accurately.

12. Jerry RoBo 3D

Staff Member

@renzobenzo84 Here is the brief test I am hoping I can help you with.

In the octoprint web dashboard, go to the terminal window and send an M502 command. This will reset your EEPROM settings to default.

Then send an M500 command to save these default settings.

Now do the Z offset wizard and write down the new Z offset value (will likely be same as before but interesting if there is a big difference).

Back to the terminal window. Please send a G36 command. The printer will go through several motions and report back some values in the terminal window.
    Please run this sequence 3 times and then save the terminal log and send to me at jerry@robo3d.com. You can also post here in this thread.

In summary:
    M502
    M500
    Zoffset wizard
    G36 (3 times)

Should be really quick and simple.

Go ahead and run some brief prints, one after the other, and see if the issue continues to happen.

13. renzobenzo84

renzobenzo84 New Member

Sorry for not getting back soon. After going back and forth with support, i had to order a new hot end and just got it in today. Ran into another issue. Hot end will not tighten in the main mounting holes. It will tighten in the secondary. Very odd. Anybody else have this issue?

14. renzobenzo84

renzobenzo84 New Member

Screenshot_20180717-194836.png Screenshot_20180717-194836.png

15. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Other than @mark tomlinson I am not sure any of us are using two extruders in the R2/C2. but I could see this happening because of the design of the clamping method used in this printer. You may just have to overtighten the screw, or maybe first try swapping the positions of each extruder to see if one isn't fractionally larger than the other.

16. Jerry RoBo 3D

Staff Member

To get the tightest fit possible, make sure you have a washer on the screw. Apply some lubrication between the back of the screw head and the washer, otherwise you will have to overcome a lot of friction to get that last quarter turn you need.

Are you wanting to install two extruders at the same time?

17. Roberto Torres

Roberto Torres New Member

Hi Jerry,

In my experience is very straightforward, if I hav day light trough my window the head will crash, cover the side with paper or close the windows and it will work fine. I had disabled the auto leveling ...

Regards

mark tomlinson likes this.