1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

I have a new r1 plus printer still in box

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by SnowmanSD, Sep 12, 2022.

1. SnowmanSD

SnowmanSD New Member

I have an unopened R1. It never got setup. I want to start 3d printing. Is this still a viable printer to use? Am I better off selling it and getting an ender 3? If I go with setting this up are there any suggestions to get running quickly?

2. fred3d

fred3d Member

You'll very likely have greater success with the R1. Do you know if it's the R1 plus model? I'm not sure how to tell the difference, but there's a feature or two improved or added with the plus.

I have a friend with a regularly used R1+ and he bemoans the lack of similar models in today's marketplace. If you have a parts failure, there's a resource for replacements, to your benefit, of course.

I have an R1+ that had a bed failure and I've yet to return it to service, but I still consider it a good printer. You'll probably get it up and running faster than you would with an Ender or Creality printer, as the Robo3D R1+ is pretty much an "out-of-the-box, ready-to-print" kind of machine.

One thing to consider if you discover you like the printer is to swap out the hot end for an E3Dv6 unit. It requires a bit of drilling and a bracket to be printed in advance, but I'd done our two with great results.

Good luck

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

Eventually you will need to replace parts such as the hotend, nozzle, fans, servos, power supply, bed heater, servo harnesses, RAMPS, etc, but don't be concerned with it. That is part of owning the machine. There are a lot of upgrades available to keep it running for many years.

4. fred3d

fred3d Member

I would not use the terms "will need to" when it comes to replacing parts. In some cases, the terms would be "will want to." The heat bed connector on the mainboard might be under-rated and may get hot and deteriorate, so keep an eye out there.

Keep the forum updated on your progress.

5. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

I recommend two things. You should get solid state controllers which act like relays to control the bed & hotend. This will take a big load off of the RAMPS board. The second recommendation is to keep spare parts to reduce down time. A lot of things aren't easily available locally, and ordering online takes a while.

6. fred3d

fred3d Member

I'll agree with BrooklynBay about getting a bit of a collection of spare parts. PartsBuilt carries a good number of components for the Robo3D series of printers, the R1+ included. I'm hoping to get my R1+ working again and also plan a 2.85 mm mod for it. I was able to purchase everything needed to duplicate the extruder, the carriage, all the parts from PartsBuilt.

7. Luke Reeves

Luke Reeves New Member

I’m asking $4000 for my 17 Robo R1 Plus. I can shipped them for additional $500 (I am located in the Saint Louis area)

They all of screens installed already