1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

increasing max temp in MC?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Joe H, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Joe H

Joe H Member

So i've had my prometheus hot end installed for a little while now and it is a beast. not once has it jammed like my old stock robo hot end, which did quite frequently. i think i've probably put around 100 hours of print time through the prometheus using PLA.
    I really like printing with T-Glase though, and on my printer i've found the best temperature to print t-glase is about 235*. the prometheus heats up quite a bit faster than the stock hot end and tends to over shoot the target temperature by about 8* before cooling off until it reaches the target temp. being the firmware is set at 240* max, it shuts off the hot end when i try to set it to 235* because it heats all the way up to 243ish and cuts off.

so how do i increase max temp so i can resume my t-glase addiction? :)

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Edit Configuration.h in the arduino IDE and compile and upload the newly compiled version to your Robo. There are instructions posted everywhere. The line is near #162 and since the Prometheus can exceed 300°C I would probably set it to something like this myself:
    Code:
    #define HEATER_0_MAXTEMP 310
    You also changed out the heating element, now you must perform a PID calibration. First off Robo does not even do their own heater calibration, they simply accept Marlin defaults, this results in a heater that can vary temperatures wildly. So PID calibration instructions are located here: http://reprap.org/wiki/PID_Tuning.

#2 WheresWaldo, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  3. Joe H

Joe H Member

Thanks! i'm pretty new to changing firmware, and when i say "new", i mean born five minutes ago new lol. didn't realize i had to download the arduino software, i thought i could make the changes in MC.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you are just updating the firmware to a new release they sometimes release it in a binary format that can be reloaded from MC, but if you want to customize it in any way then you need to modify the source files, compile and upload them.

Sounds worse than it is.

5. Joe H

Joe H Member

thanks, i DL'd all the firmware and adjusted it. Youtube is a great tool :)

mark tomlinson likes this.