1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

InPLA

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by David Sparrow, Aug 15, 2015.

1. David Sparrow

David Sparrow Member

I recently played with InPLA from Taulman3d. I'm very happy with it and I thought I would share my findings.

The material prints large prints just as you have always loved with PLA. It smells just as PLA does (think waffles). What makes this different from PLA is that the additive gives it the ability to take more abuse than PLA and it's higher tensile strength is 10,000 PSI. It's superior to PLA in every way. The most amazing difference is the clarity. This material has 90% optical Transmission, which means thin prints let a lot of light through. There is no color tinge, it's just pure. Every print I've made with it has been amazing. My temperatures are just a tad higher than PLA +10 to 20c. Oh and it's has a Glass Transition (temperature point where it starts to warp) 10c+ higher than normal PLA so it is more likely to survive a hot car.

Has anyone else played with this?

jim3Dbot likes this.
  2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Ya! I'm a big fan too!
    One of the other advantages is that it is less sticky when molten. So, it will run a bit better on the hexagon without an oiler and you're less likely to get clogs. I've actually run this stuff on my Makerbot Replicator 2X with no mods and no problems. For those of you that don't know, the rep2x is one of the few machines out there that actually CANNOT print with PLA because of its crappy hot end design.

Last I had checked, Taulman had NOT confirmed the higher HDT observation, but I have noticed it. @mark tomlinson has observed the same.

I really do feel like this is a great underappreciated material. So, I'm tossing out a bone for my fellow Robo forum friends today. $8 off per spool with coupon code inpla. http://printedsolid.com/collections/taulman/products/taulman-in-pla Of course you can bundle this with anything else to get to the standard free shipping threshold of $100. Note that we have stock from when it was still called PLAdium (still the same stuff) and ONLY have the clear. If people like it and ask for it, I'll definitely get the colors.

Michael DiFilippo likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Freakin' enabler....
    Now I had to order more.

Michael DiFilippo likes this.
  4. David Sparrow

David Sparrow Member

hehehehe I haven't compared the transparency of this compared to T-Glase yet. According to the numbers T-Glase is more transparent but this stuff prints so nice I'm really tempted to use the transparent colors to print dice towers. I Printed a dice tower out of NVent and out of T-glase black. I tried printing a dice tower out of T-glase blue but I must not have it hot enough (spiral tower). Anyway my point is the the InPLA is idiot proof. Which means it s perfect for me. :)

5. David Sparrow

David Sparrow Member

I've played a bit more with this. Elmer extra strength glue stick works for most things but sometimes I have to pull out the painters tape. For large regular shaped objects the glue was enough. For small irregular shaped objects the tape was needed. As an example I when to print something about 1x1x2 and on the bed there was a little part touching the bed that jetted out. That 2 mm wide part lifted on four prints in a row. With the tape it didn't lift at all. I love the feel of this material. Has double the impact strength of PLA. I printed off a part put it in a vise and hit it with a hammer. Did it break rather then bend, yes. But the part barely broke. It broke just the really thin part, less than 1mm. The rest refused to break. This material is outstanding. I printed a 3x6" 2 part case. Both parts fit together perfectly. Outstanding stiffness. This would be my first choice for printing electronic boxes Or figurines.

#5 David Sparrow, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I just reloaded some for a print last night and I agree, really nice.