1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Intermittent hotend (firmware?)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Cole, Oct 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cole

Cole New Member

recently over my last 2 or 3 prints, my printer extruder has stopped due to the hotend cooling down. i am getting the cold extrude prevention error. yesterday i attempted to print a large object, a piece for a project i am working on. at about 5 hours of the eight total, (this is kind of a guess as i checked the printer five hours in) it began cooling randomly. an hour later when i came back the hotend was cold to the touch but the printer was still running and moving around. i checked the log and went as far back as i could, but i could not find the point where it became too cold. also yesterday i was trying to unclog the nozzle independent from running a print, when it too began to cool. i resent the heat order and it did nothing. after this i tried power-cycling it. when the printer came back on it was back to warming again. to me this sounds like some kind of firmware problem.

any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated as i am at a loss for what to do as i need the printer to finish my project.
    Cole Tucker

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Can you try just maintaining temperature for a while and see if it shuts off?

Could be a bad polyfuse that's tripping.

3. Cole

Cole New Member

as i mentioned in the previous comment i tried maintaining temperature in order to clean out the nozzle.it was only able to sustain temperature for about 15 mins, and the prints have been about two and six hours before shutting down.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Ok if it only maintains temp for a short while it's probably the polyfuse tripping out. Mine did that when the polyfuse was blown.

Look at your ramps board's yellow polyfuses and see if one's blown out the top. Otherwise feel how hot it gets after it trips off.

5. Cole

Cole New Member

big yellow rectangles right? none of them appear to have blown out the top. and i have checked both and they have full continuity, so that rules this out other than running the hotend at temp and seeing what the fuses do. i haven't gotten around to the firmware. do you know where i can get a new copy and also how to upload it to the arduino. also it is staying at 225 which is what i have printed at for almost five months. and by feel it to see how hot it gets, i am assuming you mean the polyfuse

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Do you have a hexagon hot end or a black j-head

7. Cole

Cole New Member

i have a jhead

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

9. Cole

Cole New Member

i actually managed to fix it. the atx connection in between the heating resistor had wires broken off on the inside when i cut them off, the wire had completely separated from the atx connector. thus it had a weak connection and possibly tripping the polyfuses out as well because of the amount of current.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.