1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Inventor printing issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Scott Brown, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Scott Brown

Scott Brown New Member

I have been able to print the pre-loaded files without a lot of issues. I tried to print an .stl file of something I made with Inventor and it was ridiculously small. When I export to an stl file, what unit measurement should I be using for my Robo R2 printer to print it correctly?
    Thanks,
    Scott

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Moved post to R2 section of the forum (it was in the R1 section).

The give away was that there are no preloaded files on the R1/R1+ :)

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

STLs need to be metric. The printers and other slicers always default to metric so if you actually do you model in inches... it will be tiny when you import it (25.4x too small to be precise)

Some slicers will let you tell them it is in inches, but they do not default to that and the STL format does NOT include a way to specify that it is in inches or metric -- the assumption is that it is always metric.

An STL is a surface model only and not a complete 3D model with all the associated information

tkoco likes this.
  4. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

@mark tomlinson is correct. The other work-around for a model being too small is to use the scaling function built into the slicer programs ( like Cura or Simplify3D )