1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Is G29 broken in some versions of Marlin?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Narwhal, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Narwhal

Narwhal New Member

I've been beating my head into a wall with bed leveling and using G29. Searched all the articles, read up... just wasn't working.

Tried manually leveling the bed and X-axis rail using my dial indicator. STILL couldn't get a level print of the first layer using G28 followed by G29 (left side of the bed would lay down a bead, the right side had the nozzle smearing).

Gave up, removed G29 from the code alltogther, and used trial-and-error to tram the bed and move the Z-axes by hand until my first layer WAS level.

Interestingly.... per the dial indicator, my bed is level BUT the X-axis rail is tilted (relative to the bed). But it prints level now!!

Using: R1+, updated with a large LCD (updated Firmware using ROBO3DR1PLUSV2) and Cura 4.6.1
    No idea what rev of Marlin though.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

>ROBO3DR1PLUSV2<

that is a version 1.0.x.

You matched the bed to the X is what is sounds like :) You trammed the extruder to the bed.
    Level is the wrong word, because it doesn't men "level" like in carpentry, it means trammed (as in a CNC machine) ...

The head is spaced equally from the bed across the travel.

3. Narwhal

Narwhal New Member

Aha - thanks Mark, terminology being learned.

However, if I add in a G29 to my code - will not print level. I'd love to try Bilinear, but that code seems to be missing (no matter where I look).

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Is it doing the probing of the bed correctly? What correction factors is it dumping out if you ask for a report:

G29 P3 T