1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Is the Hot-end hot enough?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by howdyrichard, Nov 25, 2018.

1. howdyrichard

howdyrichard New Member

upload_2018-11-25_7-53-37.png

VT_0003T.IS2

11/25/2018 7:03:33 AM

Degrees are in F. Image is rotated about 60 degrees left from vertical.

Shows hottest point after 5 minutes at 210C with Repetier. The hot-end got clogged with ABS filament at 235C using the recommended Matter Control for ROBO 3D R1 & R1 +Plus software. Made 4 prints medium size before it stopped printing.

Not sure if this is a good temperature reading and is this where it would be the hottest on the outside. I was thinking that maybe it is getting clogged because the hot-end is not hot enough! I did replace the sensor with the all popular NTC 3950 still using table 1 (Temp_Sensor_0 1). I did not have the FLIR at the time I replaced the sensor. The original tested as a short but after I removed it and replaced with the new one it measured 100K; oh well.

Not sure how the heat is being transferred inside the 'block' but it is not the hottest point. I also do not know the emissivity of the block and will conduct further research unless this has already been done and someone could advise me on that.

I will try and clear the hot-end today and try reprinting again.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is difficult to near impossible to get a good temperature reading on a printer hotend with any sort of external optical device and I know, I have tried :). The inside of the heater block is what matters (not the outide) and most are made of aluminum, which will rather quickly dissipate external heat (some are stainless steel which is a bit slower, but still has a fairly steep gradient across it)).

A contact pyrometer is your closet way to tell and honestly... I wouldn't bother since that is still outside temperature of the heater block.

If that temperature IS near accurate then nope -- not hot enough for ABS I imagine

If you think it is too low replace the heater core (use a 40w ceramic, they are pretty standard). If you think the thermistor is just reading too high, increase the set temperature. In both cases after those actions do a test extrusion and small test print to see how the quality is affected.

If they help you can at least print while you get some new parts in :)

#2 mark tomlinson, Nov 25, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2018