1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

is the XXL Smart LCD really *smart*?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Bill Monroe, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Bill Monroe

Bill Monroe Member

What I mean is, does the XXL have firmware on-board or does Marlin have the code to work with it?
    I'd like to add a second extruder and I'm wondering if the XXL will still work without firmware changes?
    R1 machine ( December 2014 costco evolution) - factory hardware version-no mods (yet) Repetier/Slic3r

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

XXL doesn't have a processor and runs off the arduino/ramps combo. Our version of marlin already has the code enabled so the XXL is just plug and play.

Dual extruders works on the XXL no problem, though there are some limitations to it's functionality, though nothing very serious

3. Bill Monroe

Bill Monroe Member

those limitations are?

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Preheat PLA and Preheat ABS options heat up both nozzles, if you want to do different temperatures between them you need to manually define them from the temperature menu.

With that the Extrude option only works for the first extruder. If you want to test extruding from the secondary nozzle you need to use a software. Though honestly I don't mind this because it's seldom I need to do it and I'll usually just do it by hand.

I've been working with a member on getting these fixed though. Should be soon that I know how to resolve it.

5. Bill Monroe

Bill Monroe Member

OK Mike, thanks. Sounds like some work on Marlin ought to take care of it huh?
    I'm wanting to run HIPS for support. Works real nifty on my Prodigy Plus. Maybe PVA sometime in the future so, separate control for temps is important.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah just some tweaks to marlin. There should already be a feature in there for multiple extruders, just need to figure out how to enable it

I've been running a lot of HIPS and I like it a lot. I don't really do solvent dissolving much because it takes too long. Just pulling off the hips by hand is easier and then the part is ready to go. PVA is too expensive and too difficult to keep dry for me to bother.