1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Is there a master shutdown/Kill Command

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by robert sanchez, Jan 12, 2015.

1. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

Is it possible to trigger a master shutdown/kill command, that shuts everything down including the processors and cooling fans. So that when you have a print complete, everything shuts down to save power.

Right now, I shut down the heaters and disable the motors.

But I would like to shutdown all the cooling fans as well, which means turning off the processor.

Any thoughts? Maybe it is not possible with the existing architecture.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

There's a PS_On pin that you can use to trigger a relay or something to disable the power supply, if that's what you mean.

You'd need 5v or usb power to trigger it though

3. robert sanchez

Sweet, thanks @Mike Kelly. I'll talk to my EE/SE at work and ask him if he has any pre canned solutions to do so.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There is a thread on this if memory serves. @Ziggy had helped research this...

5. insomniac_lemon

Just wondering about this! Having overnight prints is annoying because of the loud fans not shutting off when everything is cool. Eventually wakes me up in a slow and disorienting way. If you get this accomplished, let me know.

If it could be done with Gcode once everything is cool, that'd be awesome. This is the closest I found for it:

M1: Sleep
    The RepRap machine finishes any moves left in its buffer, then shuts down. All motors and heaters are turned off. It can still be sent G and M codes, the first of which will wake it up again

M81: ATX Power Off
    Turns off the ATX power supply. Counterpart to M80.

2 people like this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

One way to keep things quiet is to use an existing function in Marlin which turns on/off a pin when the temperature of both the bed and the extruder are over/under a certain limit. Instead of switching leds this pin can be used to turn on/off the cooling fans for the ramps and the extruder. The pin could also be used to turn off the mains power supply (but not turn it on obviously)

This means that when the printer is finished the noisy fans are turned off after a few minutes when the extruder and bed have cooled down.

This thread explains the function - but there is a bug in Marlin which is easy to fix.

http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?threads/marlin-temperature-status-leds-bug.3393/

I just connected a solid state relay to the output pin and connected all the noisy fans via that relay. So the printer is quiet when powered up but not heating or printing and it goes quiet again a few minutes after the printing stops.

2 people like this.
  7. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

I use M81 at the end of each code when printing from SD card. Typical code footer feature is in CURA Craftware or slic3r.
    It triggers 5V 10amps relay i bought from Ebay and cuts off 110v of the power supply.
    That way printer shuts completely down when print is finished.

8. robert sanchez

@tonycstech by chance would you post what pin outs you wired to and your circuit.

Thanks

9. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

10. drandolph

drandolph Member

If you want to be really REALLY lazy you could use a WEMO and turn it off from your phone when it's done. It's how I use to do it before I did my whole octopi project.

11. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

This must be a joke.
    How does making the printer shut its self down exactly when print ends with automatically inserted M81 code makes it more dificult then WEMO ?
    WEMO is wireless, and if you are not home then good luck. Even if you can turn it off by phone remotely, you'd still require some unit to run on order to support internet connection.

Method of using the relay is far better and efficient at its most with no possible alternative that would beat the simplicity and functionality, unless that functionality is built into the printer its self (which is not the case for any printer on the market.)

The M81 command is the laziest approach in the universe. You only need to specify it once in slicer settings and every generated code will have one from now on.
    Then it would simply be a matter of flipping the switch (if you chose to have an override switch like i do.)

12. drandolph

drandolph Member

I didn't mean it as a joke but as a lazy way to tun off a printer. An M81 command on a relay is a refined way to do it but as Mike Kelly mentioned you would still need to have power going to the controller or you would never be able to turn it back on afterwards. You could get power by having a powered usb hub always providing power to the arduino. A WEMO is a completely stand alone WiFi power plug that is controlled by a phone. So if someone didn't want to open their machine and wire up a relay then it might be an easy out-of-the-box option. I'll admit it's not ideal but it all depends on how comfortable someone is with wiring something like that up. Now if they don't want to mess with the power they could use one of these powertails http://www.adafruit.com/products/268 instead of a relay board. Personally I put mine on octopi and did the relay there instead of on the arduino so I could power it on or off from there. It's all a bunch of options. I choose to do it with the octopi so that I could reset the arduino if I wanted and I can reboot the Pi as well. So remotely I could do just about anything I care to.

13. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

No.
    LCD with SD card runs from board power.
    The 5V 10A relay is the same thing connected to the board.
    There is no extra power supply needed for the system to work. When m81 command is passed to the robo board, it cuts off the power to the engaged relay.
    Once relay gets power cut, it releases positive 110v that feeds entire printer.

cant be simpler than that.

As for turning it back ON, like i said i have an override switch that supplies 110v to the robo power supply regardless of the relay status.
    The setup is so simple a monkey could do it. my electrical knowledge is no better then monkey knowing how to smoke, so.......

14. tonycstech

tonycstech Active Member

Look at this image and see the flow of how everything is connected.
    There are two problems with this image.
    #1 i bypassed the fuse, so dont do that.
    #2 colors of wires are all random, so don't pay attention to that, but wire them with same color as you have.

I think the flip switch is working in the opposite direction and i might have to post another picture.
    When switch is flipped down, it runs 110v thru the engaged relay to PS.
    When switch is flipped UP, it runs 110v thru the switch and thru the relay (disregarding its status) to PS

[​IMG]