1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Is X-Axis Build Dimension Really 9in/228.6mm?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by DJC, Jan 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJC

DJC New Member

I was attempting to print a model that comfortably fit within the build volume, measuring at 220mm on the X-axis including skirt.

As the skirt was being printed, I heard a loud sound as the big extruder gear hit the plastic piece that holds the right Z-axis rods.

To troubleshoot:
    1) I stopped the print.
    2) Reset X-axis to home making sure that the extruder is at its left-most location with the X-axis switch touching the trigger.
    3) Marked the location of the nozzle on the build bed.
    4) Moved the extruder in the +X-axis direction until the large extruder gear hit the Z-axis rod holders.
    5) Marked the location of the nozzle on the build bed.
    6) I measured X-axis build dimension, and it turned out to be 203mm or 8in.

Any of you guys experiencing the same problem with the X-axis dimension? Is this an issue of inaccurate advertising or do I just have a bad unit?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I usually got 220ish but I think the end stop screw/post is shorter these days than when I got mine. If you're trying to print so close to the max volume it might be a good idea to disable the skirt.

You can also manually test this with manual controls.

3. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

+1 for using the manual controls to find the actual printable area of your printer.

4. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

I just tested x219 - y246 R1 that I got in Dec 2014. I didn't add my z as its different from most with my fan set up.

I have changed my settings in Cura hopefully that helps with print centering.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

To get the max X dimension you may also need to tweak the

#define X_MAX_POS 212

parameter for the software max endstop in configuration.h. The default is 240 in the stock firmware, but the extruder crunchs into the right side at that setting. By shortening the X endstop screw you could probably squeeze another few mm to 220.

6. DJC

DJC New Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I was able to stretch the X-axis to 218mm using manual control incrementing the +X movement one mm at a time towards the end. I'll have to update the printer preferences for the new X-axis dimension and Print Center.

I'm a little disappointed though that Robo3D is still advertising the wrong build dimensions for the newest R1 models. At least they should've updated the Printer properties in the included software and perhaps sent a notice to their customers and 3rd party developers such as Simplify3D.

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Well they don't advertise it as 9.0 and 8.58" is closer to 9" but yeah.

I have mine running at 228 because I'm running bowden so it's not completely unrealistic. They also have their primary software setup as 228. Not entirely sure what's up with that.

I assume you have the latest version of the robo with the switch on the X carriage?

8. DJC

DJC New Member

Correct. I think I have the latest version; the switch is on the extruder carriage in the X direction.

Did you make the bowden extruder upgrade yourself or were the original models running bowden?

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I did it all myself.

10. Oborstrebor

Oborstrebor New Member

They advertise it at 10x9x8 inches (254x228.6x203.2 mm) 720 cubic inches. In which case that is what it should be, anything else is just a marketing lie. Why cant firms be honest, what it says on the tin should be in the tin. A lot of firms lie like this, not just RoBo, but it is sad that they do this, I am sure a good lawyer ( I hope there are some left ) could make a good living out of suing firms like this.

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'll let them know to correct that issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.