1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Issues pha/pha InPLA in same nozzle.

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by David Sparrow, Oct 6, 2015.

1. David Sparrow

David Sparrow Member

A few months back I decided to have seperate nozzles for Pla, pet and nylon. This has been working pretty well for me. No clogs until today. I started with InPLA and really loved it, went through the whole kilo. I then switched to PHA/PLA in the Same nozzle. Had no problem, printed less then 1/4 kilo then switched back to InPLA. The result was an instant clog and by instant I mean instant. After three atomic pull cleanings it will print print again but the nozzle is no longer reliable. It looks like there is some sort of reaction between the two products additives. Based on the order I'm guessing the pha is attaching itself to the walls of the nozzle and bonding with the InPLA leaving the nozzle.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Any filament that contains PLA has a tendency to stick. It is one of the stickiest filaments available. Usually, seasoning the nozzle or a Filament oiler/cleaner will work wonders with PLA. It won't help any other filament, but won't hurt it either.

3. David Sparrow

David Sparrow Member

I don't agree with that. I have certainly read it enough times but my experience has been if you use a nozzle for only pure pla it won't clog or clogs very very slowly. I think that pla reacts with other materials and that is where you get most of your clogging.

EDITED my post because I probably should have given the cheviot.

#3 David Sparrow, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  4. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

This is not true. I only use PLA and after lots of use or with a new nozzle if I don't keep it season i get clogs sometimes.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Sample size of one is too small to base a judgement on. Take @jbigler1986's post as well as other successes with using an oiler as a more accurate representation of reality.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yep. Absolutely not true.

It depends on the nozzle and if it gets seasoned correctly. I have had some that worked lovely for any filament really and then others that would power clog on PLA unless I seasoned them. Often. PLA is just 'that way' and the best solution is seasoning (or an oiler). And I have NEVER had an oiler adversely affect any other filament. I normally now don't bother with it on other filament type, but I have tried them all with it.

7. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

I switch back and forth between pla and pla/pha. I use an oiler and add 2 drops to the filament before it enters the extruder and 3 drops before it enters the oiler at the beginning and no clogging has been seen in the last 6mo since I started running the pla/pha.

However, I do run a volcano (0.40) which allows me to run cooler than I was when I had the regular e3d v6.

8. David Sparrow

David Sparrow Member

@robert sanchez I was talking about mixing PHA/PLA by colorfabb and InPLA by Taulman. InPLA has additives in it to improve the material just like PHA is an additive for PLA. I think because of the order of operation and the immediate seize that the two don't play friendly. I don't know that for a fact but I thought I would point it out to see if anyone else had any experience.

I don't expect there to be a problem going from PHA/PLA to straight PLA since PHA//PLA already has PLA in it.

I have heard of past issues with PHA/PLA clogging but no explanations as to why.

For PLA I do recognize that it can deposit carbon slowly building up a clog but that isn't what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about going from perfect to clogged very quickly. Anyone else who switches materials experience anything like that?

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Never and I have used/switched between a lot of materials. I am hard pressed to think of a combo I haven't done, but I am not going to swear I tried them all.