1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Issues with auto leveling, printing, Y axis stuttering?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by sLpFhaWK, Dec 12, 2015.

1. sLpFhaWK

sLpFhaWK Member

Well I don't know what's going on now. I changed the 3 values I wanted and hit upload, now it's timing out.

I just tried to print a 20mm cube and the printer did the g29 and when it got to the last point matter control said printing, and then it says it was finished in 2 mins when it was supposed to take 20 but nothing even started to print.

If I had any hair on my head I'd be pulling it out right now.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is usually a USB issue. Reset the arduino and make sure it is connecting.
    If you have a powered hub that is a good idea.

3. sLpFhaWK

sLpFhaWK Member

It's connected to the comptuer via a USB extension. the values I changed still aren't being reflected when it's doing the G28 and G29 tho.

I gave the cube a go again and it's printing this time. So we'll see in a few minutes what the final outcome will be.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

What did you change? Have a section of the header file to post?

5. sLpFhaWK

sLpFhaWK Member

Where do I get the header? Also in the Arduino software the printer connects to the software via com6 is that teh same port i'd use in Arduino software?

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Generally the same com port. Sometimes resetting the Arduino will change the com port, but not often.
    The header file is presumably what you edited: Configuration.H?

7. sLpFhaWK

sLpFhaWK Member

I changed

#define DISABLE_Z true //robo
    to
    #define DISABLE_Z false //robo

and I changed

#define XY_TRAVEL_SPEED 5000 // X and Y axis travel speed between probes, in mm/min
    #define Z_RAISE_BEFORE_PROBING 15 //How much the extruder will be raised before traveling to the first probing point.
    #define Z_RAISE_BETWEEN_PROBINGS 5 //How much the extruder will be raised when traveling from between next probing points

to

#define XY_TRAVEL_SPEED 30000 // X and Y axis travel speed between probes, in mm/min
    #define Z_RAISE_BEFORE_PROBING 2 //How much the extruder will be raised before traveling to the first probing point.
    #define Z_RAISE_BETWEEN_PROBINGS 2 //How much the extruder will be raised when traveling from between next probing points

8. sLpFhaWK

sLpFhaWK Member

Okay when I tried that I got an error, I didn't copy the error message. I'll get that to you after it's finished printing.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, those look fine.
    You need to make sure you are loading the firmware to the correct Arduino.
    We do a bit of arduino development and I remember loading it into the wrong one... once. Having more than one attached gets confusing.

10. sLpFhaWK

sLpFhaWK Member

Okay so I just tried to upload it again, and this time it succeeded. So that is good, and the changes are being reflected now as well, the 9 point leveling dance is much faster thankfully.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. sLpFhaWK

sLpFhaWK Member

Now when I try to print something the nozzle doesn't want to go to its predetermined z offset. I just tried printing something different and the nozzle is like 3mm from the bed. and I thought I had it dialed in I don't get what I'm doing wrong.

12. sLpFhaWK

sLpFhaWK Member

Okay Mark, in Matter control when I run a G28 and a G29 using the terminal everything checks out, but when I click to HOME the Z axis it keeps raising like 5mm. shouldn't that be using the offset I put in the GCode?

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No. Home is home. That has nothing to do with the GCode.
    The Z axis home position is defined in the firmware*. GCode only matters once you start printing.

*partly in firmware and partly by the HOME limit switches.

14. sLpFhaWK

sLpFhaWK Member

I think i'm done with this printer. I can't figure out why the hell its acting the way it is.

15. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

One thing I should mention about your edits, while XY_TRAVEL_SPEED of 30,000 may be possible, I don't believe the Robo can actually go that fast. You do realize you are asking the Robo to accelerate to 500 mm/s. I have found that around 200 mm/s (XY_TRAVEL_SPEED 12000) is about the limit before the Robo starts to resonate.

And besides this, your steppers will draw more current to accelerate and decelerate to overcome initial stiction and final inertia.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That has to be the initial Z offset.
    If however your homing is still making it continuously go UP rather than home a z axis home switch is still at fault.
    That is a 'tell' for a bad or mispositioned switch. You click home and Z keeps going up and doesn't actually 'home'...

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You might want to do a one-on-one with them. They can see then what is going on and help you get it sorted.
    The darn thing is close.

18. sLpFhaWK

sLpFhaWK Member

I did the M Gcode command to see if the switches were activated and they were so I'm lost again after being close. that 20mm cube I printed came out good I don't have calipers to see how close it is to 20mm to see if it's under or over extruding but it's clean looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. sLpFhaWK

sLpFhaWK Member

I just did the same values novice expert did in his videos. 30k is a bit fast so I'm going to tune it down a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. sLpFhaWK

sLpFhaWK Member

so I called Robo tech support when I got home, and they weren't any help they sent me videos I've already seen. So I said screw it i'll give it one last go, so I did the paper trick, turned the printer on and just printed a part for the top spool holder, and it print the thing fine, then i printed 2 more pieces perfect. so im pretty happy with the results so far!

mark tomlinson likes this.