1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

It started with a communication issue...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Shea Clayton, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Shea Clayton

Shea Clayton New Member

So progress!, (sort of) I used the image you pointed me to Mark and the screen does show the UI but the touch screen doesn't allow selections. Interestingly the new screen I purchase shows the colors inverted. The white is green and the blue is dark blue. I did try the old screen i was replacing and it now works visually, with the right colors, but again the touch does not work.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Make sure that NOTHING is touching the screen (like the plastic lip where it mounts)
    Those touch screens are not capacitive and they do not support multi-touch. So, if something else is touching the screen your touch will be ignored.

3. Shea Clayton

Shea Clayton New Member

yep, nothing is touching. I placed the screen into the frame so insure it was isolated. No plastic/film on the screen. Weirdly the old screen works best and by fitting it into the frame to ensure no false touches, and doing so with the new screen just received the screen is flipped and again colors "inverted". Here are are few images.
    In either setup, touch is not working.

Attached Files:

4. Shea Clayton

Shea Clayton New Member

here is the second image of the older screen with correct colors and right orientation

Attached Files:

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, I will trying burning that image to an SD card and boot from it myself to make sure that the drivers are loaded.

probably this weekend.

6. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

I looked at the images. It appears that the display driver might not be the correct one. Assuming the new screen has a HDMI port on it and just for troubleshooting sake, Try the other SDcard image and connect a HDMI cable from the Raspberry PI to the new screen.

7. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Correct on the 2 wire cable not being required. Your other problem might be a driver mismatch to the new screen.

Update: I am correcting myself. Apparently, the 2 wire cable goes to the filament out sensor on the back of the cover.

#27 tkoco, Mar 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is actually a very good idea. The HDMI cable is not difficult to run and you can probably find one locally.

9. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

10. Shea Clayton

Shea Clayton New Member

unfortunately, the new screen is not the HDMI version and doesn't have the connection option.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Then you are going to need to modify the RoboOS to make sure the drivers are loaded.
    Do you have a link to the LCD you did buy? Might can help you find drivers...

12. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Once you do get everything working properly, please make a backup of the SDcard. Restoring a backup is a lot easier than starting over from scratch.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

What HE said :)

14. Shea Clayton

Shea Clayton New Member

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Ah, OK .. so that actually is the C2 replacement part. Well.. then the non-HDMI version of the RoboOS image I linked to should work.

Robo_C2_GPIO_v2.zip

If not then something is not wired exactly right (make sure the ribbon cable is landed correctly on the Pi) or the LCD is defective. That image will have the correct drivers for that LCD.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I can't confirm where GPIO 21 and GND (the wires at the other end) goes to, but a fan is reasonable. One the Pi can turn on/off ... They do NOT go to the LCD at least :)

C2LCD.jpg

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If that image still does NOT work (please make sure you put the correct one on the SD card) let me know and I can post a copy of my image that I am using with RoboOS 2.x on the C2

18. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Question:
    In your C2 printer, is the ribbon cable going from the RPi to the LCD screen the original cable or is it a purchased replacement?
    I ask since the image of your RPI ribbon cable does not match the image of the RPi ribbon cable posted by @mark tomlinson

19. Shea Clayton

Shea Clayton New Member

It's the purchased new one, but I can try the old (I think I did with the same results). @mark the image is the same you linked to me earlier and it was the only one that resulted in the screen turning on. I just can't navigate as the touch does not work.

20. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

I have the HDMI type of C2 printer, so answering this problem is a bit outside of my experience. Perhaps @mark tomlinson can chime in on the ribbon cable