1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

It started with a communication issue...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Shea Clayton, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Shea Clayton

Shea Clayton New Member

ok, this is getting super nuts. I replaced the ribbon to the old screen, and it boots, the screen comes up. I was then able to touch the Utility icon and it advanced, then stopped responding. so. I think I got a bad replacement on both accounts. But why does it only allow that first initial touch? Am I better to get a new pi? The image I am running is from Mark, should I get a new one from Robo?

slightly losing my mind here but really, really appreciate your guy's help.

2. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Hang in there. Yes, the GPIO bus of the Raspberry Pi could be going bad. If you have a spare Raspberry Pi 3, you could try swapping it out.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

See if you can... that will not hurt and who knows -- it might help :)

4. Shea Clayton

Shea Clayton New Member

Hye Guys,
    So I was able to find another r-pi 3 stealing it from a Pi-Top I had, and just to eliminate that potential issue i made the swap but saw no impact. Same as above, one touch and it locks. This morning i got a new image from Robo and the net-net is the screen locks from launch and I can't get the one-touch input.

?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

With the screen locked up is the printer still responding via OctoPrint? Can you control it from there?

Want to see if this is an issue for the Pi or just the LCD

6. Shea Clayton

Shea Clayton New Member

I haven't tried Octoprint, but I will look into that now. However, I have exchanged the ribbon (old and new) pi (old and new) and screen (old and new) and not seeing any real changes other than the image supplied from Robo (not the most recent) just wouldn't boot. the new one does but as I mentioned no touch. I will go ahead and try that now but hadn't used this tool before.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

While not optimal, if you can use the printer via OctoPrint it is better than not working at all.
    I almost always only use OctoPrint on all my printers just because I don't want to be bothered poking around on the screen (and not all of them have touchscreens).

Let's see if we can figure out if it is a more general problem or just an LCD one.

tkoco likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I love having the camera on the printers with OctoPrint too -- makes it easy to 'see' what is going on :)
    Easy to add that ... cheap too

9. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Agreed. And if you have a wireless network in the house, a cell phone and the camera mod applied to your C2 printer, you can remotely monitor the printing with your cell phone.
    http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...-phone-via-your-local-wireless-network.23702/

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. Shea Clayton

Shea Clayton New Member

Hey Guys,
    Ok, i am a little out of my depth but got an octopi image installed and it prints! It will be a learning curve but really happy i got something working!

so now I have a question. on the external monitor, I am running I am getting an under-voltage error message?

thoughts?

Attached Files:

mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yay!

Working :)

The under-voltage warning is from the Pi operating system and means exactly what it says. Your USB power to the Pi is weak enough (not enough current) to supply full voltage to the Pi. It is a common problem and you need a larger wall-wart or power source for the Pi. Normally it needs 2-3 AMPS for the Pi 3b, the Pi 4 probably uses much the same. When a device pulls more power (current) than the supply can deliver it causes the voltage to sag and that is what is reported. It is not a fatal problem since the Pi (Raspbian) will simply scale back the number of cores being used to reduce power load, but it does mean you are not getting full performance from the Pi.

It can also be due to a poor USB cable used to bring the power into the Pi

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224493

https://www.element14.com/community...ction-raspberry-pi-3-b?displayFullThread=true

tkoco likes this.
  12. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Ideally, the Raspberry Pi 3 (RPi 3) should have 2.4 Amps of current at 5.1 volts. The problem with the message is that you have no indication as to how far out of spec the power is for the RPi 3. It could just be a tad low, but still usable. (vs. almost too low and unstable) Perhaps a different power cable might be the solution.

13. Shea Clayton

Shea Clayton New Member

well hello!
    So I was able to use a standard micro USB and an iPhone brick to run the R-pi .No power issues come up on the secondary monitor. I would then assume the issue is with the Robo3D board- or at least the power issue.

And was able to via octprint print previously converted/printedGcode files.

But when i go to create a new file- via Cura, slice to gcode, then print through octprint the material doesn't stick to the bed, as if the bed level is off. I installed the bedlevelingwizard plugin and it doesn't' resolve the issue. I switched back to the Rodo c2 spiral bed print check that came with the unit and it's bang on, sticks to the bed and prints perfect.

I rechecked the Cura model to make sure it was not floating on the Cura virtual bed, and it's in the right position. I even flipped it and again same outcome. material not sticking.

Thoughts?

14. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

1) Are you printing on Buildtak?
    2) What temperature are you using for the filament ( in the quality profile in the Material(s) area )?
    3) What type of filament are you using?
    4) Are you using the Cura machine start-up g-code script or are you using the Octoprint start-up g-code script?
    5) which version of Cura are you using?
    6) In Cura, are you using the built-in quality profiles, or are you using the Robo quality profiles?

The Robo Spirl model which you printed has all the necessary parameters embedded. The quality Profile in Cura will probably need tweaking to match what is embedded in the model.

#54 tkoco, Apr 13, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2020