1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Just bought my RoBo 3D last week and am very excited to join the community I've been stalking.

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by bamhm182, Nov 4, 2014.

1. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

I've been very excited about 3D printing since around February, when someone I worked with was talking about how cool it would be to have a Scooby Doo dog tag, but instead of saying "SD", having it say "AB" for her dog's initials. I had nothing better to do, so I whipped up a design in Blender and had Shapeways print it out. I was incredibly impressed with how great it turned out and how I was able to create an .STL in one night with no prior 3D modeling experience at all, then get the product delivered to my doorstep within a week or two. Painted it over the next week or so and I think it turned out pretty great.

Ever since then I've been DYING to get my own 3D printer, but never quite had the money saved up. Decided on the RoBo 3D back in April when I had the money saved up, but then life happened and I had to spend it on other things, leaving me to stalking these forums and all the active 3D Printing subreddits I could find. Saw some videos about 3D Printed QuadCopters for the hundredth time, which really kicked my obsession into overdrive this time for some reason. Then I had some spare money and decided that with a little help from my credit card, I could finally afford to buy a RoBo 3D and pay it off before the end of my billing cycle.

As with most important things in my life, I left it up to a game of random luck. Found a penny and had one of my co-workers flip it. Heads was the 3D Printer. Got heads, then they convinced me to do two out of three. Got heads again and fate was sealed. Haha. Bought it on Amazon on 29OCT2014, got here 30OCT2014, and have been playing around with it since then.

Anyways, enough with the writing of this novel. I'm SUPER stoked to finally be a part of this community and hope to eventually be able to help as much as some of the rest of you. I've attached a few pictures of the 3D prints I've made so far, more or less, right out of the box. While I haven't printed anything really complex, I've been impressed with the quality so far since I was expecting to have to do a LOT of tweaking in order to get anywhere.

TL;DR: After obsessing over 3D printers all year, I finally bit the bullet and have been having a great time being a part of the community that I've been stalking.

IMGUR Link to Prints. The one with all the different prints is ordered chronologically. There are a handful of failed prints that aren't included. The skull shot glass is my favorite, even if it is already a little whiskey stained. Haha.

4 people like this.
  2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Welcome aboard :)

3. jakub

jakub New Member

Do you have the R1... any tips or links to guides... im getting a great print every two or three prints..

4. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

What kinds of issues are you having? Have you browsed the troubleshooting section?

5. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

I do have the R1. As Printed Solid said, if you tell us what kinds of problems you're having, we can probably help out. There's also a TON of good material all over the forum, so using the search feature has helped me with a lot of my problems.