1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Just Ordered an R1 Plus

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Gripp, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Gripp

Gripp Member

What is a PTFE tube and where do I get one? I would like to try flexible stuff (I'm assuming TPU is a flex material).

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Gripp likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There is an entire thread in the PRINTING FILAMENT section that discusses NinjaFlex and other flexibles (in all honesty there is probably more than one thread)

Read through them.

Gripp likes this.
  4. Gripp

Gripp Member

So I got my printer yesterday and got it set up. Everything looked good and installed smoothly. I'm still learning how to use the matter controller program. At one point I was able to get the z access to lift and the bed to slide out so I could add the glue. I couldn't figure out how I did that again.

My first layer was pretty crappy but that was before I read about the z offset thing. I haven't had a chance to do anything since then. I set it up to print the lifted feet and that was my night. Hopefully tonight I'll have luck getting everything set up well. Next I want to add an oiler but don't have anything other that extra virgin olive oil so use. I do have silicate oil but I'm not sure if that will work. It's for oiling parts.

I bought a Ficbox LCD display smart controller from amazon. The reviews were decent and it works with the Robo. Is it something that I just plug and play? It looked like that's how the XXL is on a youtube video that I saw.

Is there a newer firmware upgrade for the printer that I should install? Also can someone share their start and end gcode so I can plug it into cura? And what temps do you guys use for PLA. On my mp I was using between 195-205c and 55c for the bed.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Use vegetable oil only .. so olive is fine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I would not update the firmware without a need.

7. Gripp

Gripp Member

Ok cool. I'll give that a go when I get home. After my spool holder it'll be printing 2 oilers.

8. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

MatterControl is hot garbage, the sooner you abandon it and pick up Cura or literally any other slicer software the better you are.

Oiling the hotend is over-rated. If you have to oil the hotend, then the hotend you are using has bad finishing work on the internals.

I mean, even when you set up and use an oiler you put one-to-two drops on the oiler as the filament starts and not add any more until changing filament/the spool.

I can't speak to that specific LCD display, but generally the answer to that is "Yes". I would have opted for setting up Octopi or even shelling out for Astroprint that way you don't screw with the internals of the printer.

Hell, even just buying the right kind of USB cables and using an app like GcodePrintr for Android (there may be an iDevice equivalent) almost as useful as Octopi. Just put an SD card in the port on the printer, plug in your Android Tablet and use that program to tell it to start printing. The printer will continue running even when the tablet goes to sleep.

Check out this thread for the best custom version of the firmware everyone that still uses a Robo is using.

For the Cura profiles, have you tried the Robo-supplied version of Cura?

https://robo3d.com/software/

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The oil only impacts the nozzle and only pla. You may not need it but it is not going to hurt.

Geof likes this.